Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the plastic speedo drive gear this morning. (MY93 CSE 2.0 eco) Part no 87 27 240

The electronic sender was corroded solid onto the sleeve so I had to remove sender and sleeve as one (after removing pince bolt at side and levering out with flat screwdtriver)

Anyway the gear had obviously snapped at the narrow section above the gear . The gear part had dissapeared into the bowels of the gearbox.

After separating the sender (held in vice) all bits thoroughly cleaned up I found the top of the gear wedged in the sleeve. Looks at though it had siezed at some point and the bottom (geared) part had snapped off.

Checked the new gear in the sleeve - found it was very tight so I ran a drill through it first to make a loose fit.

Refit was straightforward and speedo now works (also in dash display).

Question is the old gear is still in the box. I am hoping that being plastic it will have disintegrated over time without harming the box (much!)

Have road tested and everything seems fine.(The speedo hasnt been working for 6 months or so so presumably any probs would have showed up by now?

What do you guys think. I do not want to mess with the gearbox at the moment as clutch seems fine etc.

deebel

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
As lond as the plastics doesn't get in a block / restrict the oil ways.

When I rebuild that carly's box last year there was metal teeth bits everywhere in the oil ways and holes. Spent loger getting them out that fixing it, and the magnet... needed a good shave!

Also, from the Aero a month ago...And yes mine had siezed together and needed a vice and big spanner to part.

Amdrew

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry folks, I have an auto.... with a drain plug. I've never had any car without a plug in the gearbox. So you never have to drain and refill the oil then? No wonder I hear stories about failing gearboxes..............

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
thought all gearboxes had a drain plug? mine even has a little dipstick on it.[/b]
Drain plugs on 9000's only from 1994 onwards which have a fill level and drain holes.

pre 94 9000's either have fill holes only on the front (later) or rear (earlier) of the box.

How do you check the level with the dipstick on the drain plug without all the oil running out and changing the level?

Andrew

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by microcat36:
[qb]thought all gearboxes had a drain plug? mine even has a little dipstick on it.    [/qb][/b]
Yes it has a fill / dipstick hole but not a drain plug at the base. Remember reading an article somewhere with the measurements etc. for drilling and tapping a plug hole on earlier boxes, but can't remember where.

deebel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.