Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedo needle not moving and mileometer not clocking. Also EDU at base of Instruments is dark (but using a torch I can see "life" when I push the Info button) Engine / performance is fine.

Am I correct in thinking if the speedo sender at the gearbox was faulty, it would affect engine performance?

If that is the case I am going to concentrate on electrics / connections etc behind the instruments. Is power to EDU bulbs and speedo connection on the same multiplug?

Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by deebel:
[qb]Am I correct in thinking if the speedo sender at the gearbox was faulty, it would affect engine performance?[/qb][/b]
Yes, if it's Trionic. I don't know about other systems. Assuming Trionic, if it's a full-pressure turbo, you'd only be getting base boost if the speed signal were missing. It will also tend to stall when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin,

Bit the bullet today and took the top off the facia and pulled all the connectors and removed the instrument panel. As you suggested the bulbs were all gone behind the EDU - so a swift visit to Halfords and three new bulbs installed.

Procedure pretty straight forward. However to remove the instrument panel I needed to remove the heater duct behind it to give me some clearance and I have spent a helluva long time trying to get it back seated over the drivers vent. By my reckoning I should be lying at 45 degrees on the bonnet as I am not double jointed (however a small thing like the windscreen is in the way)

I have never removed the panel above the footpedals. If I do this will it give me access to seat the ducting properly? If yes how do the plastic fasteners securing the panel work as I don't want to bust these in the process?

Deebel

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The plastic fasteners have a pin in the centre.

Press this in carefully (trying not to lose it) until it comes out of the other end of the fastener. To refit it, fit the fastener into the hole, then insert the pin from outside and press home until it is flush. If you break one (which is likely), similar clips are available from Halfords.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.