Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I fitted some new sparkplugs. My mechanic advised NGK PFR6H-10, so I bought a set of these.
I assumed NGK BCPR7ES would be better, but who am I to doubt the knowledge of a Saab mechanic

Are the PFR6H plugs the platinum plugs that caused trouble on some DI cassettes???

·
Registered
24 Posts
The spark plugs (Jos) your mechanic adviced is correct... why? I don't know. I think these are the best for your engine!

regards,

sander

(ps ff niet testbanken...versnellingsbak aan het einde van latijn.....)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Platinum PFR6H-10's are standard equipment on the Viggen. I don't like them, most Tuning companies will tell you not to use them because they cause the ECU to sense knock when there isn't any. Do a search on them in this forum. I think we went through this a while back. Platinum ionizes NOx, and ionization is how the computer senses knock.

They might last longer, but I don't like them at all. They were a bean-counter's idea (saving Saab money by increasing the spark plug change interval), not an engineer's.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]Platinum PFR6H-10's are standard equipment on the Viggen.  I don't like them, most Tuning companies will tell you not to use them because they cause the ECU to sense knock when there isn't any.  Do a search on them in this forum.  I think we went through this a while back.  Platinum ionizes NOx, and ionization is how the computer senses knock.  
[/qb][/b]
Today I will get some results and we will see if plugs really make a dirrefence in my case. Now I have viggen originals in my viggen and I'am suffereing from lack of boost. Today I will **** in a set of NGK BCPR7ES's. If they work it is a win win situation, I will get the boost and save money cause NGK BCPR7ES's are way way cheeper that the original plugs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]Today I will get some results and we will see if plugs really make a dirrefence in my case. Now I have viggen originals in my viggen and I'am suffereing from lack of boost. Today I will ****  in a set of NGK BCPR7ES's. If they work it is a win win situation, I will get the boost and save money cause NGK BCPR7ES's are way way cheeper that the original plugs. [/qb][/b]
Sorry I misstyped the plug type on my previous mail. My new plugs are NGK BCR8ES.
I changed the plugs just a while ago and it had no affect on performace or the level of boost. My boost gauge still wont raise above half through red with stage III. Well I cant be sure about boost until I will get a real boost gauge.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Did you reset the computer? Could still need to adapt to them.

Also your car might have a pretty wide margin for knock at the moment because it's so cool. Might notice more difference when it's warm?

I think someone said it was the guys from MapTun who were saying the PFR's were pants. Perhaps it's really only an issue in higher tuned cars that are having trouble with knock. Someone should call up MapTun and ask em what's going on exactly.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]Did you reset the computer?  Could still need to adapt to them.  

Also your car might have a pretty wide margin for knock at the moment because it's so cool.  Might notice more difference when it's warm?      

I think someone said it was the guys from MapTun who were saying the PFR's were pants.  Perhaps it's really only an issue in higher tuned cars that are having trouble with knock.  Someone should call up MapTun and ask em what's going on exactly. [/qb][/b]
I got a boost gauge today and it did back up my findings about boost. I'am only getting 1.2bar with some spikes to 1.3. I should be boostin 1.3-1.4. But this theard was about plugs, I will comment that case.

PFR's are only from the ******* when we are talking about tuned cars. They do just fine in normal non tuned engines. The info is from Maptuns Fredrik, email him for further info. His a nice guy to communicat with.

Adrian W,
I reset the ECU and recalibrated it. Today it was 10 C outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts