Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ok call me tacky if you want,but i am thinking of putting a pair of 6mm wheel spacers on the back of my 92 9ktcs.now all stop sniggering and tell me if i really need longer studs,if i do this??

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Well the obvious answer is yes, if you wish to keep as much of the stud in contact with the thread in the hub as you have as standard.

Why are you contemplating fitting spacers, and only at the back??

Nick.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Hi! welcome to Saabscene

If the wheel nuts still show a bit of thread clear of the nut they are long enough. Or, to put it another way, is there at least 6 mm of thread (not stud, because the end tapers) sticking out beyond the head of the nut now?

BUT. I wouldn't do it. You will be introducing a bending stress into the studs. They were not originally designed for this and could break

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for the f/b on this and hi to all.i think its going to really good here!.first i,ll check out the stud length as sgould says.and as for cd carlsson the polegatian,just doing the back to increase the track width (better handling??)and not the front as this will badly affect steering,as wheel offset will be changed
ps mines a carlsson.be good to chinwag

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Put simply:

Don't do it.

Number one, it will void your insurance if you ever have the misfortune to have an accident.

Number two, there are no benefits that I can see, only downsides. The 9000 doesn't need a wider track at the rear.

If you want better handling, there are many other things that can be done that will give real benfits without upsetting your insurers, such as using poly bushes on the anti roll bars.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Have to agree with Mark - widening the track will not necessarily improve your handling - could even make it worse and as Stanley says flexing, etc will come in. Also the load on wheel bearings increses so they may wear out more quickly. If the suspension is generally 'tired' through mileage, replacing some of the components is more likely to give a better result. The other route though obviously more expensive, is the wheel and tyre combination change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.