Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a detour to avoid a hold up, braked very hard to avoid an artic. on a very narrow lane
and the car started to sound like a tractor under heavy throttle thereafter. Aha, I thought, the exhaust is blowing

Popped into a garage and they ramped it couldn't find a problem with the exhaust but think it is from the turbo but couldn't see what or where. Turbo new in July this year.

Any offers?

Bill

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Had a similar prob but it wasn't that loud. The exhaust gas recirculation pipe had fractured and eventually dropped off at one end.
It leads from the nearside end of the ehaust manifold around the end of the cylinder head to a valve at the inlet manifold and has a stiff wire around it that prevents you easily touching the HOT pipe within.
HTH

Nick.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mine did this - I think I wasted a load of £ on a new exhaust thast was not really necessary.

The nuts holding the front pipe to the turbo outlet had come loose (and then seized).
SS Motors in Southampton spotted this and managed to tighten up 2 of the nuts - 3rd was stuck and would not budge at all.

Result is that blowing/throbbing noise went away and has stayed OK for about 8 months.

Also worth checking the bracket that secures the cat to the back of the engine - mine had fractured at the bolt hole allowing the exhaust to move - and may be why the nuts came loose in the first place.

Hope this helps

Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patrick Merry at Alresford reckons it is a crack in an internal flange (ooh er missus) so nothing too much to worry about....I'll book it in in a couple of weeks time and have a service and new front pipe which looks a bit tired!

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts