Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Your advice & thoughts appreciated please...

With all this talk recently on the thread concerning the timing chain, it's reminded me to ask this.

When lightly pulling away from a standing start & only from cold there's a sound best described as that of a flat tyre being driven slowly from the engine bay. I'm wondering if the timing chain, sprocket or idler on my '89 9000 Turbo might be in need of attention or possible replacement. I could also describe the sound like someone immitating a purring cat but then if you train your thoughts from that to the sound to that of a flat tyre you're almost there. If I allow the engine to over-run the sound disappears & if I accelerate to any real speed (20mph) the sound disappears. (Possibly because of other noises that are over & above the strange sound I hear).

I'm not sure if the note & rapidity of the sound accelerate with the engine or wheels it's quite faint but definitely audible at these very low speeds.

Once the car has covered about .5 of a mile (so it's not even warmed up) the sound is not at all apparent.

Has anybody else noticed this on their 9000 Turbo. The car will turn over 189k miles today on original engine & gearbox so hopefully you have enough information to make an estimated guess if not a full prognosis.

If it's likely to be timing chain etc, what sort of damage are we talking about to the old wallet? It could probablt with this being done anyway.

Thanks again in advance to you all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had this same issue with my '88 turbo. As it turns out it was the trans making the noise. Don't get scared yet, after removing the trans and tearing it apart we found that nothing was wrong. It turns out that after age first gear seems to make this noise. You didn't specify auto or manual, mine was a auto. Also it could be the idler bearing on the belt tensioner. On this note has anyone had problems with the plastic tip on the tranny dipstick breaking off in the trans?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
900016Turbo,
If it's engine noise (e.g. idler pulley), then this is usually trackable on tickover by listening to engine under bonnet. Use a screwdriver to transmit sound from parts of engine to ear if necessary (but avoid moving belts for obvious reasons!).

The idler pulley should grumble away quite distinctley, if faulty.

Alix66: Re dipstick.. not yet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.