Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - to help numb the pain of my suspected cracked piston ring, I decided to investigate improving the ICE on my new Aero. It's a '93, and it looks like it had the wiring for the pre-Clarion (Eurovox/Alpine?) setup. I have fitted a decent Sony Radio/CD player, and rewired to a standard ISO connector.

My other '93 9K CSE had a Sony Radio/Cassette/Boot changer fitted that looked like a dealer fitted option - identical to the ones fitted in some of the later 900s. Anyone know if this was the case?

I plan to fit the changer from the CSE to the Aero, and have a spare Sony changer lead so can leave the current one in situ in case the new owner (I'm selling it) wants to upgrade.

Anyway, now to the big question, assuming this was a dealer fitted option, anyone know how to get the CD changer and phono leads down the middle of the car and ending up in the boot under the flap for the spare wheel?

Just worried about disturbing too much carpet/trim if there is an easy way to do it...! Hope this rambling nonsense is understandable..

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
best routing with minimum disturbance is to run the wiring under the kickplates down the side of the car
these are readily removable and there is a good space under it even for a heavy duty power supply for an amplifier or two

·
Registered
494 Posts
best routing with minimum disturbance is to run the wiring under the kickplates down the side of the car
these are readily removable and there is a good space under it even for a heavy duty power supply for an amplifier or two[/b]
if you do decide to run baterry power in this manner, be sure to route it through the firewall (and insulate it well!). do not run it along the fender and down along the door hinge in an attempt to finish the job quicker. this can be the cause of a bad water leak as i found out.

i would not bother running the wire down the center of the vehicle under the carpet. unless, of course, you have the seats, carpeting and insulation padding removed anyway in an attempt to locate the source of that *cough* water leak *cough*.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you do run power amps in the boot and run heavy duty power leads take the feed from the battery with a fuse at the battery end thru the rubber bung above the passenger footwell and behind the glovebox and run the power cable down the left hand side under the door sill covers. Run the phonos under the dash above the drivers footwell, securing them so they don't drop and under the right door sill covers. Separating the power from the phono cables reduces the chance of humming thru the speakers that directly increases with engine speed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, so many of you have said it's the easiest way to cable down the sides of the car, that I'd be stupid to ignore you!

Going to get my hands dirty at the weekend, may have a cracked piston ring, but at least the sound system will be good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.