Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this list and was asked to put some info out on my sonett II two-stroke.
The engine is a monte carlo oil
injection block,porting is beyond gp2,made very tractable by using carbon fibre reedvalves,carburation is solex
40DHW sidedraught carbs,with thin throttleshaft(stainless)and thin plates,venturis increased from 33mm to 35mm,main jets are
around 230,standard is 130,3 individual K&N filters.
Ignition is pertronix on a locked out distributor timing fixed at 17deg.
Exhaust is a tuned reverse cone
expansion chamber with baffled silencer.
Compression is around 10bar.
Transmission is spec2 gears,7:38 final drive with LSD,clutch is diaphragm with cush-lok racing pate,lightened flywheel.
For those of you that did the trackday at anglesey,i usually do the two-lap sprint(which is actually just under 2 laps)in 113 ish to 118 depending on weather,this is not a flying lap,but from a standing start,the car is usually on at least 3 wheels on all of the bends/corners,my last sprint the clerk of the course told me that all 4 wheels were off the ground exiting radar,but i think he was mistaken because i only heared two touch back down.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It will be interesting to hear some of our more vocal friends pick the bones out of that spec!

Are you sure it can really go round Anglesey that quickly - Just get serious, it hasn't even got a manual boost controller never mind an AP22 accelarometer thingnymebob.
For gods sake man -you haven't even got a turbo

Keep up the good work.It's refreshing to hear a sane voice

PS> Doesn't Carbon Fibre Reedvalve play for Everton?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by d.barrow:
[qb]For those of you that did the trackday at anglesey,i usually do the two-lap sprint(which is actually just under 2 laps)in 113 ish to 118 depending on weather,this is not a flying lap,but from a standing start,the car is usually on at least 3 wheels on all of the bends/corners,my last sprint the clerk of the course told me that all 4 wheels were off the ground exiting radar,but i think he was mistaken because i only heared two touch back down. [/qb][/b]

I trust that you will be bringing it along to Anglesey for the Saabscene Trackday next year - would be great to see some older Saabs on the track intimidating some of us turbo boys

Do you have any photos of the car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naranto,james,and others,
the hp is around 80-85,but what has made this car more driveable are the reedvalves,torque is increased by around 50%,before the reeds i had to change down to 1st gear on some of the tighter hairpins at some circuits,now i
am in 2nd gear and the LSD is more effective.
If i am free when the trackday is held,i will be going with the sonett,ty croes is my favourite circuit!
I will probably change the final drive to a V4 8:39 from the two-stroke 7:38,this will give me a taller top end.
If you get the approach to school at anglesey right this really brings your times down,but you need to keep the power on into radar,the one with the blind apex,you need a few goes at this to stop your "bottle" from going!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb]If you get the approach to school at anglesey right this really brings your times down,but you need to keep the power on into radar,the one with the blind apex,you need a few goes at this to stop your "bottle" from going! [/qb][/b]
Indeed, the tendency is to come in too close to the inside of the corner too soon - takes a bit of practice and I am not convinced I actually got it right - so more practice is required next year

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] If you get the approach to school at anglesey right this really brings your times down,but you need to keep the power on into radar,the one with the blind apex,you need a few goes at this to stop your "bottle" from going! [/qb][/b]
Indeed, the tendency is to come in too close to the inside of the corner too soon - takes a bit of practice and I am not convinced I actually got it right - so more practice is required next year [/qb][/b][/quote]Is that the left where you aim for the far side of the marshalls post and hope that there will be tarmac there when you arrive?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Ahh,

I was think after Hill rise and into Radar.

Yes school, just after the puddles on the left and onto the less wet bit in the middle

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by nutcase:
[qb]Now if that isn't a fun car, I don't know what is    [/qb][/b]
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Thats one hell of a car you have got there Dave

I have it on good authority since Chris rode in that car that's why we now have a II as well!!! (mrs 99T)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you actually look at the surface at school you can see 3
sections of tarmac,i get the right hand wheel just on or thereabouts on the first line closest to the inside,so really you are sort of slightly of centre,then i snatch it in slightly on the later apex,then drift over to the outside,ready
to dive round into abbotts.
When you get school right,you can feel the car sort of thrust
up the hill,you really feel it in the seat!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts