Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My 1993 CD has a sound consistent with the fan speed, in the firewall/at the base of the front windscreen area, when turning to the right. It's as if something is fouling the fan.

Has anyone experienced this?? Any idaes??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
First place to check is the cabin air sensor,under the little grill beneath the seat switches,the fan in this can become very noisy,worth a gentle clean and application of WD40.
mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a similar problem. A gentle tap on the sensor will sometimes start/stop the noise. In my case the bearing in the little electric fan had gone and I sourced a replacement from a breakers (they cost ££ from mainline dealers) You will need to remove the top panel of the dashboard to get at the unit (Torx 10 and 15 I think). Remember to disconnect the panel from the retaining cable and any sensors fitted (mine has one for RC locking) It was a pretty simple job but I did have to disconnect the seat switches first in order to get at the sensor.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Although the two replies above are sources of vent noise, the fact that you say it's:

a) coming from the firewall
B) varies with fan speed
c) is worse going a RH bend

suggest that it is a problem with the main vent fan. It sounds like it may have play in the bearings/mountings that is allowing it to move and make contact with the housing.

I can't remember if you can get at the fan to confirm this without taking it out, but I'll have alook later if no-one else pops along in the meantime with the answer.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
At the risk of sounding ignorant of the climate in your part of the world, which I am; I believe that a blocked drain can cause the area under the plastic grille to fill with water which slops to the side as you go round corners. Then the fan hits it. Usually results in a damp carpet though.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I support the blocked air con drain theory. These are exactly the symptoms that I had.

Take off the long plastic cover at the bottom of the screen, and then removed the fan speed controller (careful, the cooling fins are live +12 Volts). You will find there is water lurking in the bottom of the plastic heater ducting before the fan. You will find a drain leading forwards that will be blocked. Use a stiff bent wire to clear it all out. There are also two drains from behind the bulkhead into the engine bay. Check these also (it will be easy as all the water drains when you clear the first drain.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I had forgoten the blocked drains in the aquarium,I have never taken the dash top off to access the cabin sensor,remove a seat switch put your fingers up inside and push the sensor out.job done.
mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Guys - thanks heaps!! Will check it all out this weekend. Sounds like there could be something loose, as the noise (like the fan catching on something) occurs whether wet or dry. But, when wet, there is the added sound of water!!!!

We are in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

Regards

Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.