Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is obvious that there's been a lot of work done here. Well done to all concerned, and congratulations on the revamp. Are the useful sticky items going to be resticked?

·
Registered
432 Posts
very sorry but i think it looks bloody awful. Liked the style of the old forum. this; and here's the irony looks rather similar to saab central! don't like the look of that forum either. looks like i'll be mainly using uksaabs.

do apologise to those concerned. ho hum

bish

perhaps you should have thought about the old adage; if it ain't broke....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Taken sencond look this morning. still don't like it but c'est la vie! not much i can do about it. too fussy; me and new design

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah.. that and the fact I have lost all my PM's.. including one i got just before the server was taken offline, and i never got to read it!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
<font color="red">Well you cannot please everyone.</font> Me, well I think a job well done, well worth the wait.
Keep up the good work guys, well impressed.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
very sorry but i think it looks bloody awful. Liked the style of the old forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
We have tried to retain the look and feel of the previous Saabscene forums by using the same colour scheme and icons as before. Since the software is different, some changes are inevitable.

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps you should have thought about the old adage; if it ain't broke....

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, that's the thing. We wanted to fix it before it did break. The previous Saabscene forums were running on PERL generated flat HTML, and the data that we have accrued over the years was running at some 560Mb or so.

A key motivation for data migration to new software was that the previous software was no longer subject to ongoing development. This software is the successor to the previous software that we were using.

Saab owners are spoilt for choice when it comes to forums on the internet. Find one that you are comfortable with and enjoy it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Rather than complaining about the new look, lets just be thankfull it's still HERE!! and appreciate it, for what it is, a place to come and get very usefull help and information about saab's ( FOR FREE!!!) Thanks to SS i've saved quite a bit of money, and no doubt other people here have done as well.

Right, now that i've got that out the way

Am i the only person having problems doing a search, every time i try and search it comes up with "access denied".

Ade

·
Registered
325 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah.. that and the fact I have lost all my PM's.. including one i got just before the server was taken offline, and i never got to read it!

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get PM's does'nt it get sent to your email address, so you can read it there, without having to go on saab scene

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

When you get PM's does'nt it get sent to your email address, so you can read it there, without having to go on saab scene

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, on the old software, the content of the PM was sent by email aswell.

·
Registered
325 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, on the old software, the content of the PM was sent by email aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, is it the same with the new software?

Grentarc, have you checked your email?, the message might be there.

·
Registered
432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I think its much better - some people however are never happy

[/ QUOTE ]

felt that old design was best of all three forums i use.

understand now reasons for change.

will give up my membership of forum

not a case of not being pleased or happy any of thetime.

nobody here knows me so don't judge the person by the posts

goodbye

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
The software that we are using now is the natural successor to the software we used previously. We spent many years on the old software, but that was a PERL/HTML version that has been deprecated in favour of the mySQL/PHP version (this one).

We all got used to the look and feel and the way that the old software worked, and we have attempted to capture that with this new software. There are differences, though, and we can not 'fix' everything.

What we have done, though, is to make some amendments to the stylesheet to try and bring the new look closer to that of the old forums.

Here is the comparison:

OLD FORUMS

NEW FORUMS

·
Registered
661 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think its much better - some people however are never happy

[/ QUOTE ]

felt that old design was best of all three forums i use.

understand now reasons for change.

will give up my membership of forum

not a case of not being pleased or happy any of thetime.

nobody here knows me so don't judge the person by the posts

goodbye

[/ QUOTE ]

Think thats a case of 'cut off your nose to spite your face'......
Dont really see what the big hoo haa is all about tbh - its a free resource and alot of people put alot of time and effort into making this site available for us to use and enjoy.
If you want to go elsewhere just because its had an upgrade than thats your perogative nobody is judging you for it i just personally dont understand your logic in doing so.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I like the new look, only thing i miss is the list of people on-line along the top of the main page, that there used to be, any chance of it reappearing.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I have to agree with Tandino. I appreciate that this and some other Saab resources are provided to me free of charge out of goodwill and community spirit. On more than one occasion, I have left a Saab forum quietly because I didn't like one aspect of it or another. I never felt the need to publically criticise those forums (constructive criticism in a comminuty spirit excepted) or announce my departure because if they don't charge for membership, the administrators are free to run it however they like. It's horses for courses and if other members are happy, then I leave them to enjoy it.

Put it another way - I spend time and money providing Saab9000.com as a free resource to anyone who wants to avail themselves of it. I don't care who they are - if they get something out of it, they are welcome. If they have suggestions to improve the site, I am all ears, although I have to work with limited resources in terms of the aforementioned time and money. If they say they don't like it and won't be coming back, well, it's their problem, not mine. The Internet is big and they may well find another free resource that is more to their taste. I have never thought of it in terms of a "ratings war" so it's not a problem to me if people go elsewhere.

As far as the software upgrade is concerned, I can already see a performance improvement and having some experience with these things, can understand the technical reasons for the upgrade. I have yet to find my way around the software and personally would rather have seen an upgrade to PHPBB, simply because I'm familiar with it, but I'm certainly in no position to dictate to Saabscene which BB software they should use to provide me with a free service.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I like the new look, only thing i miss is the list of people on-line along the top of the main page, that there used to be, any chance of it reappearing.

[/ QUOTE ]
We'll look into that, Zaphod

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Zaphod, there is the Who's Online link at the top of the page, which even tells you what people are looking at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Certainly a different style. I agree with bish, He is allowed to say he doesn't like it. For me, jury still out. Lots more options, but are we concentrating on style and not substance? Sure i will get used to it. Replying to posts seems to come from the last post, not just a general reply. Am i missing something?

Do find it strange that the excuse someone administers/moderates for nothing there should not be abled to be criticised. Hey if you put yourself up, then take the flak!!!

On the point of critcism, I have noticed that certain moderators and regular contributors to this forum have on saab central and uksaabs have criticised this forum. I find this quite a treacherous act. Yes this forum does seem more moderated than the other two and a lot more fussy re email addresses, but for heavens sake, by the simple fact we all drive cars we are adults. lets act our age and not shoe size!!!!!

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Certainly a different style. I agree with bish, He is allowed to say he doesn't like it. For me, jury still out. Lots more options, but are we concentrating on style and not substance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bish is entitled to his view and that is welcomed. The software change is a learning curve for us all. There were reasons why the change was made - it was not a decision taken lightly - we have been considering the options for 18 months before the change was made. After 6-7 years using a different piece of software it is inevitable that most of us became comfortable with it and that a change would shake things up a bit. Hopefully we will quickly acquaint ourselves with the new features.

[ QUOTE ]
Replying to posts seems to come from the last post, not just a general reply. Am i missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is intended to enable threaded replies - you have the choice to view topics in both flat and threaded formats.

[ QUOTE ]
Do find it strange that the excuse someone administers/moderates for nothing there should not be abled to be criticised. Hey if you put yourself up, then take the flak!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Constructive criticism is welcomed.

[ QUOTE ]
On the point of critcism, I have noticed that certain moderators and regular contributors to this forum have on saab central and uksaabs have criticised this forum. I find this quite a treacherous act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, Saabscene is the subject of a vendetta from a moderator and a member of another board. We would prefer to co-exist on the internet without these issues. The internet is a big place.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes this forum does seem more moderated than the other two and a lot more fussy re email addresses, but for heavens sake, by the simple fact we all drive cars we are adults. lets act our age and not shoe size!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This forum places more restrictions on the registration process - this is not through choice; it has been forced upon us by the abuse that this forum has been subjected to by certain people.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts