Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the fastest you've ever driven your 9000?

I know, it's quite a juvenile question but I figured you folks in the UK would have easier access to roadways that allow you to...ahem...air-out your 9000's than we have here in the States.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'll start you off then. I've never opened her up fully on the motorway yet, but I have had 125mph on a short stretch of dual carriageway with ease - and she wanted to keep going!

Neil

9000CS2.3T

·
Registered
776 Posts
Venumb/.

As Neils first reply, 125 mph, and still accelerating well, but no road left !! Nothing to prove after that, it was just a case of knowing what it COULD do. This was the second day I got it.
Got ticking of from Missus, but the Young'un in the back seat loved it. Im quite happy that it would reach end of scale if required, but making a habit of these things can be expensive, yes ??

By the way, how are we doing so far ???

Andy
9000 CSE 2.3T 250BHP

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I started this so I may as well come clean also..lol. I'd once driven my 1986 9000S (non-turbo) to 110mph, BUT it seemed to take FOREVER to reach that speed and I'm not sure how much faster I could have gone. I too, ran out of roadway but doubt it would have topped 115 mph anyway.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
In the Lakes, 140mph, had just grabbed 5th when I realised how silly it was if I met anything even if it wasn't police, was still pulling like a train, and the 149mph claimed max was gonna be history easily within the next 10secs or so. Speedo has been checked against GPS, and @ indicated 70, GPS said 69.3.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
BTW, it was when I was achieving 120+ that I realised the car wasn't as stable as I'd like it to be, indeed it felt decidedly iffy. That's when I decided that I'd get the handling improved rather than, or at least before and performance enhancements.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with Gassy. I have a 9000 1994 CSElpt auto. At about 125 it doesnt feel that stable. The steering was also quite light.

When ever i have driven at that speed i always worry that something is going to blow up ie.engine!

do you think that driving at high speeds put a strain on the engine?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Must be getting old - I've only been up to 115 in the Carlsson.

Any ideas why my old Ford Orion 1.6GL's speedo went up to 140mph when it could only do 106mph - and why my Carlsson's speedo goes up to 140 and its top speed is 145mph?

Kevin Mc
(Back after a few days enforced silence).

·
Registered
226 Posts
on the very few occasions I've driven near some of the speeds mentioned, I find myself starting to worry about the security of the wheel nuts,or were there any nails in the tyres I didn't notice and if I got caught, it could be a ban plus a sentence!
Good point about the Orion optimistic speedo. The Aero is the only car I've had that is capable of going off the scale(never had the balls to try it).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.