Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on RS246.com has GTech'd his RS2. Car is standard and recently dyno run confirmed as having estimated crank HP of around 315HP and 410NM torque (completely standard..)

He weighed his car (physically at a weigh measure place) at 1650 kg with full tank of fuel and added 150 kg for him and a passenger.

The test run was done 3 km after the weight-measure place.

These are his results.. (measured as WHEEL HP/ TORQUE lb/ft) :

13,44 sec ¼ mile 102.41 mph
wehicle weight 3960 lbs
maximum wheel hp 243.9 at 5777rpm
maximum wheel torq 236.9 lb/ft at 5332rpm
1/4 mile stats
reaction:1.220
et:13.44
speed:102.41 mph
60' =1,848
330'=5,537
1/8m 8.612s at 82.36mph
1000 =11.214
60mph=4.831s

What do you reckon ? Accurate ? (the 0-60 and the quarter mile compares as accurate with magazine performance investigations)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
First off ... beware! G-tech figures are highly debatable around this place.

That being said, sounds about like what you'd expect for an AWD car with 315 hp. Interesting to compare it to one of my time slips.

The RS2 is about 14% faster from dead stop to finish, but the AWD drags it down once moving. Even with a running start of 10 mph faster than me, from the 1/8-1/4 it's 8% quicker instead of 14%. It actually accellerates slightly slower from the 1/8 mile onward averaging .19 g's while the Viggen averages .20. (This however, is likely due to having 10 mph more wind resistance at the 1/8 mile, and 5 mph more at the finish.) Power to weight wise, the RS2 is rated at 22% more hp/lb.

Very intersting, and very cool!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]First off ... beware!  G-tech figures are highly debatable around this place.      
[/qb][/b]
Yeah, how come the RS2's got less wheel HP than Adrian's Viggen, Mark?

Seriously, though, I'm well impressed with the 0-60 time, I didn't realise those cars were quite so stonkingly fast.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yeah, how come the RS2's got less wheel HP than Adrian's Viggen, Mark? --- James

AWD is a real drag on hp, but maaaaaan! Talk about quick 0-60. I couldn't dream of traction like that even with slicks.

Anyway, I found that the video I made with the stopwatch next to the speedo gets a reasonably clear view of 82-102 mph. The video is 7 MB so I took two screen shots from the video and put them together in one picture here.

There is obviously a little room for error, but even with a leisurly shift at 95 mph it only took the car ~ 4.7 seconds do accellerate from 82-102. It took the Audi ~ 4.8. Now I'm not claiming my car is faster or has more hosepower. Clearly from a dead stop it's HUGELY slower. But this does very clearly show the disadvantage of AWD once the vehicle is in motion.

BTW my car weighed 3560 lbs in that video. It weighs about 3220 empty, and I added 160 lbs for me and 180 for my friend Nick.

Just for fun: If you take into account the weight of the Audi ... if it has roughly 245 wheel hp and weighs 3980 lbs ... and my car weighs 3560 lbs it would give my car roughly 219 wheel hp to get the equivalent accelleration. I definetly don't have 252. But assuming 13% trans loss 219 would give the Viggen about 252 crank hp. Which sounds much more reasonable.

Yours Truly,
Adrian dubbya W

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Mark, are those hp and torque numbers from the G-tech or the dyno? Seems a bit odd that torque peak on a turbo engine is so high in the rev range. If it is from the G-tech, how does it take gearing into consideration for the power numbers?

I think that the G-tech may be useful for getting the times and such but I am still skeptical as to how it figures out the power numbers. I guess I need to read up on the thing.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Heard an ad on the radio this morning saying that 1st to 7th December is Audi Performance Open Week in the UK.

Go to your Audi dealer and try all the performance models (but only if you like that sort of thing of course
)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]I guess I need to read up on the thing. [/qb][/b]
Here you go:

This is the theory behind gtechs hp/torque measurement

(From the book "Turbocharges" by Hugh McInnes)

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Interesting reading, Philip

G-Tech official website here . Might not be very useful for us Saab drivers, though - according to their 'how it works' section, it measures rear wheel horsepower ... :rolleyes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts