Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I am happy with the current setup of my car, I have a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket at present!

With 290BHP and around 300lb torque, I think that I can probably leave engine mods alone for the time being. For reference, I have a Speedparts Stage 3 and Abbott suspension.

I am thinking of having a Abbott LSD fitted and possibly uprating brakes. I am thinking at present that I want to retain stock wheels for that sleeper look (I also park the car on street!), so was thinking of Abbotts Viggen front 9000 conversion which retails at £1000 + VAT. Has anyone got this set fitted to their car and is it worth it?

I have been pondering on the bigger wheel option, as I know it is supposed to improve handling. Having said that, I'm not sure that the Abbott 9000 testcar that I drove handled much better than mine, save for the LSD. I don't really want to sacrifice a lot of ride quality, so I guess that 18's are out and Ed reckoned that 17's were the ones to go for. Of course, I am aware that the 18"'s allow for 4 pot brakes, but I am not so keen on spending £300 for each replacement disk!

I do wonder how much difference the wheels make as I have memories from last summer of following a tweeked E-Type on French country roads (in my Elise) at quite crazy speeds. That car had decidedly fat tryes, but was keeping up with 25 Lotus's!

Any suggestions/advice more than appreciated.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Jez,
Gordy's got the Abbott 308mm brake kit on his 9000 Aero.....along with just about everything else from the Abbott catalogue......

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yup, I've got standard wheels and the 308mm Brake Kit which does make a significant difference. If you were to go for bigger wheels then I think a number of braking options open up. Ylee has just upgraded his brakes and you should be able to find his thread for some info.

·
Registered
661 Posts
TBO Jez i think for £1000gbp you should be able to pick and choose what brake set up you can go for - the Abbott brake set up is very expensive for what you get and you would be tied in to getting replacement disc's through them and i bet they arent cheap either!!,
My way of thinking would be to get a set of Wilwood calipers (if im not mistaken i think they do a slimline set up which would allow you to keep the stock wheels) coupled with a 308mm disc on an alloy bell from someone like Godspeed.
When the disc wears out you only have to replace the disc portion and not the hub/bell assembly - these would probably be cheaper than Abbotts 308mm disc's on a replacement cost basis.
Also the 4-pots would be far superior to the 9-5 Aero calipers that are part of the Abbotts kit.

Pete.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
If you're thinking of four pots Jez, begin by measuring your existing disc face to inner edge of wheel distance then look at Rally Designs website where you'll find technical drawings of Willwood calipers (or checkout Willwoods website I suppose!).
It may save a lot of time as I found nothing four pot related would fit behind my Azevs'....
Nick.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thats the beauty of using a disc and seperate bell set up,
You can alter the disc offset relative to the hub to provide clearance for the 4 pots to fit..........

Pete.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...but doesn't that push out the wheels? Has anyone else done this on standard Super Aero's - or contemplated it?

I accept that the Abbott conversion is costly, but I do believe that the disks are 9-3 Viggen kit.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]...but doesn't that push out the wheels? Has anyone else done this on standard Super Aero's - or contemplated it?

I accept that the Abbott conversion is costly, but I do believe that the disks are 9-3 Viggen kit. [/qb][/b]
I'm afraid they can't be..
The Ng900 / 9-3/ 9-5 all use a 5 stud fitment...
9000 is as you know 4 stud, unless there a 4 stud vectra 308mm disc out there?

·
Registered
312 Posts
How about the 4 to 5 lug conversion plates? I think they are 10mm? Solve offset for centering of the caliper and allow later wheel fitment at the same time.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
How about the 4 to 5 lug conversion plates? I think they are 10mm? Solve offset for centering of the caliper and allow later wheel fitment at the same time.
Just a thought[/b]
Normally for display purposes only, not for road use.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mmm, so it sounds as if I need to go for the Abbott setup if I want to retain stock wheels. Perhaps Abbott get the disks made specially? Not sure how much they are, though.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'm suprised no-one has yet suggested the Trent Stage 2 setup, with uprated discs and DS2500 pads.

I've had it prior to the APs and been very impressed, and I think BillJ and Mark A can also report a significant improvement over the standard set up.

Even better, you can but the discs and pads from somewhere else for less money- if you search there's a post by Mark A a while back that I'm sure showed the parts nos.

I would guess you can do the discs/pads for a little over £200, and an LSD with gearbox reconditionining from Abbott is about £1k.

The LSD totally transforms the cars handling- corners become soooo much fun...

...and finally, you can fit 330mm discs/4 pots behind 17" wheels as long as you get the right ones.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I can attest to said setup - only with DS3000 pads- working exceptionally well, but I cannot comment on the need for upsizing the brakes on the heavier 9000. For my 900, I don't feel there to be any need.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, Mark E, I recall that posting. I wonder what the difference is between that setup and the Abbott 308mm conversion apart from the price?? I have pretty much decided to stick with stock wheels as I don't want to get too noticed, having to park on the street in Brighton. Also, I should resist the urge to go too mad as this is my 'normal' car!!

Perhaps I should do the LSD first and continue to review my options. Am I right in assuming that it is only part of the gearbox that is recon'd by Abbott?

Of course, I should have realised that 17" wheels fit AP calipers as that is the setup that you have! Is Bubbles fixed now, by the way? Saw it parked up at Abbott on Friday!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Yes, Mark E, I recall that posting. I wonder what the difference is between that setup and the Abbott 308mm conversion apart from the price??[/qb][/b]
Well, you'd be retaining the standard calipers. I don't know whether the Abbott calipers are in any way better, though, just different to accommodate the larger disc. However, the DS2500 pads actually cover more of the disc than standard which contributes to the improved performance.

I've driven a couple of cars with the Abbott 308mm conversion and subjectively, they don't appear any more powerful. They may, however, deliver their performance without using a race compound pad like the DS2500, which do wear out a lot more quickly.

Having been without my Aero for quite a while, and knowing that the brakes on my CSE seem to perform better than any other standard 9000 brakes I've ever tried, I was starting to wonder how good the Stage 2 setup was. When I got it back, I was in no doubt that it is very good.

I'd suggest that if you are looking for good brakes for road use, the Brembo discs and M1144 pads will be a great value-for-money upgrade. I'd prefer the 1144s over DS2500 for road use due to the slightly better cold performance (although either gives significantly better cold performance than standard pads) and better wear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts