Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Snows

Tags
snows
863 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MikeH 
#1 ·
Around my section of the globe, winter has hit the landscape rather quickly. A day ago, it was warm and sunny, now there's 3 or four inches blanketing the countryside. I'm not unprepared for the snow. I am currently running Nokian Hakkapaliitta's on 15" steel rims. These rims are unfortunately as old as the car (which is going on 8 winters), and are beginning to show their wear. Functionally speaking, they are fine but they just don't suit the car asthetically. Can anyone make any sound footed recommendations about alloys? Are they preferable in the snow to steel or do they decrease roadhandling capability? Being the winter, I am foremost concerned with safety here, and doing 180s and e-brake turns in the parkinglot after hours comes second.

#2 ·
Snow!Whats that stuff? Oh yes I remember.falls out of the sky and is cold and wet.
I cannot see there will be any differance in road holding twixt the two,greater unsprung weight with the steels so there will be a slight differance,however steels are more durable than alloys,one slide into a kerb will turn an expensive alloy into scrap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.