Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, has anyone had this problem?

When I´m driving and open the window, the whole car smells of gasoline. This is very anoying. I have found no leaks and the car has great gas milage so I don´t think there is any leak.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks in advance, Jón Gunnar Kristinsson

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't give you a specific answer relating to a SAAB. However, I previously owned a Mazda 929 which had a similiar problem which continued for over a year and was finally cured when I replaced the cap of the petrol tank. Leaking of petrol could be seen when the tank was completely full and the car was parked at an angle with the cap on the lower side. Even though leakage of petrol was not otherwise apparent the smell of petrol was very strong as you drove the vehicle. Perhaps you could try another cap to see if that helps.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi Jón,

My Aero gives a gas smell when you open a window and go down a steep hill, like a mountain. There is no leak at the fuel pump or lines, and the charcoal canister under the w/washer tank seems ok. This canister is the most likely culprit I think, should replace it or better yet, bypass it, but can't seem to find the write-up on exactly how to do that.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I had a similar problem... turned out that the breather pipe from the tank had broken off the fuel filler assembly on the petrol cap.

Open the trunk, get the carpet away and have a look in the bulkhead behind the fuel filler area.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hmmm Could be your car is running rich? Might be no harm to get your lambda probe checked out, had the same problem with my old 92 9k 2.0csn seemed that it was running very rich and the lambda probe was to fault. Found the car alot easier on fuel afterwards too!.

You might not get a check engine light on but its no harm to get someone with a tech tool to check... thats how I found out about mine.

Hope that helps.

Michael

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Smell could be comming in through window, or more likely, being sucked into the car from elsewhere due to vacuum effect of air rushing past open window. Definately check out fuel filler pipe connections and lines at back of car, etc.

·
Registered
231 Posts
IceSaab,

Just in case you didn't get this sorted yet, I have another candidate for consideration, the fuel return pipe where it connects back to the pump/tank.

I recently had strong fuel smell inside the car (with windows closed) and, eventually, saw drips underneath the car!

It turned out to be the fuel return pipe which, according to my garage, was only secured by some type of plastic clip and had come adrift. Fuel was trickling across the top of the tank and onto the road (bypassing anything hot, luckily).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.