Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '89 SE has a very slow but steady oil leak coming from somewhere on the sump. Could this mean a worn seal or gasket (whatever is on an oil sump)? The transmission housing suffers the same problem. Would replacement of the seals be easily done by a punk-mechanic like myself?!

·
Registered
187 Posts
the most common thing to leak on the sump especialy a slow leak is the sump bung washer, easy to change if u know what you are doing,the lek around the transmission sounds like it could be a driveshaft oil seal weeping (quite common) fairly simple to do if your box is a manual, more involved if auto.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Sounds similar to the problem I had on my '89 Carlsson. I pointed this out to Trent Saab at the last service and the technician Glenn found the source to be the mounting bolts. So he cleaned the area up and refitted the bolts with some threadlock and it seems to have stopped the dripping.

The cost? An hours labour (if done during 12K service).

·
Registered
188 Posts
blower is probily right, the sump plug is the main cause of oil leak,espeacaly if waher has not been replaced when oil changed,
also check oil level sensor on sump the 'o' ring which seals this is a common cause for leaking,as zepplin surgests cambox gaskets can leak and oil will find the lowest point to drip from, check also front crank oil seal these leak all the jobs are easy but if not sure the crank oil seal should be changed by a competant mechanic

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Apart from the sump plug weeping, which I've cured by replacing the copper washer (which should be renewed every time) with a Dowty washer which has a built in rubber seal, I've also experienced leaks from the bottom of the filler tube and from the turbo drain where it enters the block just above the front of the sump. The filler tube just needed the O-ring replacing as the old one had gone hard. Easily done but the bottom of the tube is below the oil level unless the car is level so best done at the same time as an oil change. The turbo drain has different design on my current 2.3T but on earlier 2.0 litre engines I found the only cure was to fit 2 O-rings. I think a single O-ring just didn't get compressed enough to make a decent seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts