Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep just that!!, it's a 91' 9k 2.3 fpt, the car drives ok but as stated the actual s/wheel moves from side to side up up n down.

What I mean is it's "solid" in the colum, and yes the adjustment bolt/s are tight too.

Thats the only way to describe it and thats as "sloppy" not "solid". Does anyone know what/does cause this as it's annoying the 5hit out of me.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Axl,

I think that the top end of the steering column is mounted by 2 bolts to the under side of the dash.

It would be worthe checking that these are tight or the whole mechanism might be moving around.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea thats whats happening as in the whole colums "moving" around!!.

Iv'e checked all the bolts I can see but nothings loose, I'm kinda stumped!.

I was expecting to find the "adjusment" bolts loose, y'know the ones at the ignition switch but nope!.

Is that the bolts your talking about?, there tight.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If you drop the lower dash cover off and wobble the steering you should be able to see where it's moving from.

Depending on year the mounting varies.

early adjustable ones the whole asjuster may be loose (not the lever in the adjuster).

For early airbagged cars (with no adjuster) then the is a transverse bolt above the column in line with the bottom of the ignition barrel.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did that (take off the lower plastic panel) but couldn't see where was loose.

Iv'e got the lever underneath, but no airbag, but I honestly cant see where anything's loose.

Yea I have this transverse (as in accross) bolt, thats what I was expecting to be loose but isn't!.

I'd ideally like to see another 9k the same year (H) and see what it's like.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi,
I had what sounds to be the same problem. After much diagnostic removal of bits from the steering column, I found a decayed rubber/neoprene/plastic (your choice!) bushing in the mounting clamp. I replaced it with a bit of nylon-reinforced garden hose-pipe (!) and it worked a treat! Two years on and the steering still feels perfect.
Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.