Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently fitted a speedparts ecu to my 9000 2.0 lpt and I can only assume that it's making more power as the clutch, which had previously seemed fine, is now slipping quite badly. Can anybody give me an indication of what to pay to have one fitted and recommend a place in west london?

·
Registered
454 Posts
You will be taking min £200, make sure they change the slave cylinder too as its a gearbox out job and they tend to go not long after a clutch. Someone else will recommend but you could try looking in the recommended section for a good London Indy.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The cost will in part depend on whether or not they're using a genuine SAAB clutch kit (+/-£160 at the moment for LPTs IIRC). It's also a good idea to get the release bearing replaced while they're in there as that too is a box out job.

You could try Carlssons in Leatherhead (01372 370366) just off the M25. I've used them a lot and always been happy.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Someone here said that WMSS were doing their clutch for about £350, and they use genuine Saab parts I think. That may have been a full pressure model, where the clutch is more expensive.

Most places quote around 4 or 5 hours labour.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Is fitting a new saab lpt clutch going to be a good idea? Could it be that the current clutch is fine but that the extra power is causing it to slip and so a replacemnt will not cure the problem? Perhaps an uprated clutch is needed? I'm interested in the prices and the answers as I think my aero clutch may be slipping (curry smell?) and I'd like a maptun stage 1 soon.....so will I need an uprated clutch to deal with the extra 40bhp?

Kev

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point, I'm curious to know what others think of the standard lpt clutch and whether it's suitable for a 2.0 with stage 1 speedparts ecu. As for the present clutch whilst it didn't seem to slip much it's on car that's lived in london for all of it's 77k miles and was feeling tired (the clutch that is) before I fitted the ecu.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
For a stage 1 or two I should think not... models up to engine No V028943 had a 215mm dia clutch, thereafter it was 240mm, the same size as the 2.3Ts.

I think the early 2.0T models may also have been 215mm, certainly no more than 228.

Anyway, there is a fair amount of over-capacity inteh OEM clutch ratings- many folk run Aeros up to around 300hp with no probs. If it's slipping now, it's probably because it's a little worn and does need replacing.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hi Mark
What do you think in the case of my aero? It looks like it is going to need a new clutch anyway, so while it is apart am I as well going for an uprated clutch anyway? or jsut go with the standard one?
Kev

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'm doing some further sniffing around on 9000 clutches to see if there is anything between the AP paddle and the full blown Sachs- possibly some alternative friction disc. If I find anything, I'll report back.

Meanwhile, if it's only Stage 1, then I can't see a problem with a std clutch. I know folk on Stage 3 who are still OK on a std one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.