Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having intermittent problems with the clutch hydraulics. Sometimes, I lose pressure in the clutch and can't engage or disengage gears.

Question is, is there an easy way to tell whether it is the master or the slave cylinder failing? I don't see fluid leaking and would prefer not to remove the tranny to service the slave. The guy who owned it before said he had replaced the master cylinder. It has not does this once over the past 6 mos of owning the car.

Also, am I risking losing my brakes if there was a leak that I could not see?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Most likely cause is the master cylinder, especially if there is no sign of a leak. This is a common problem unfortunately. If the slave fails it usually leaks fluid into the clutch housing. Prising out the rubber bung at the bottom of the clutch housing will soon show any fluid.
Next time the pedal goes soft clamp the flexible section of the pipe, if no difference it is the master , if the pedal is hard then it's the slave.
Although the clutch shares the same reservoir as the brakes there is a seperate compartment joined to the main reservoir only at the top, so the brakes will not be affected due to loss of fluid from the clutch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The slave cylinder is sinlge acting, there is only oil pressure on one side (ie. no return?). If it were to fail, surely oil would leak, which could probably be observed by looking into the open area of the bell housing (where the bleed nipple is). Does this make sense?

I don't see leakage, which means its likely the master cyl.

Here's hoping...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The slave cylinder is sinlge acting, there is only oil pressure on one side (ie. no return?). If it were to fail, surely oil would leak, which could probably be observed by looking into the open area of the bell housing (where the bleed nipple is). Does this make sense?[/b]
That's what I said above. Pull the rubber bung out of the botton of the bell housung and see if any fluid comes out. The likelihood is that your problem is with the master cylinder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.