Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all just done a trip up to scotland and back with my 9000i n/a , just a couple of minor niggles . 1st one on the way up my ave mpg acorrding to the dash display was going between 38-40 mpg on the way back all i could manage was 35-38 mpg any clues why ? second niggle is my idle which never seems steady, not a problem but just annoying, will i have an aic valve as i have seen on other posts here or does my poor old basic 9000 have something else to control idle speed ? any pointers greatly appreacited,
regards paul

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Hi, Paul.

You will have an idle control valve. I don't know what year your car is. However, I think it is under the inlet manifold (I have a photo of a 2.3i engine bay and the valve isn't visible).

Fuel economy is sensitive to so many things that the difference between 35 and 38 mpg is negligible. It might have to do with having filled up with different fuel, different traffic conditions there and back, etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doh, sorry Bill my car is a 1989 real basic model 173500 miles on it , the petrol thing could be right tho as i filled up with esso in scotland mpg did seem to get better when i topped up on the way home at knutsford services ,thanks for your time will have a look tomorrow as i have a free day at the moment, cheers paul

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If your engine is a 2.0 the iac is on the top of the inlet manifold 2 about 3/4 inch hoses , one ither side of a metal cyl held on by a rubber strap with a elect connection at the top,take hoses off along with the plug and the iac slips out of the round rubber strap, you really cant miss it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re the fuel consumption, the thing I found that makes the biggest difference is the outside air temp. I tend to reset my mpg counter when I fill up, and in winter my na 2.0 9000 gets 30 - 32 mpg, in summer it's 35 - 37.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I managed to successfully clean the IAC on my old 1987 9000i the first time it gave problems. Second time, it wouldn't work properly & I had to buy a new one - £100+

Re fuel consumption, I agree with the seasonal variation - 30mpg winter, 33 summer, although it doesn't seem to change much on the 9-5.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update
today i cleaned iac valve all seems ok so thanks microcat, also mpg outside air temp theory could be right as the worst figures i got was early hours in the morning i:e rain & mist = cold air temp & when i filled up again it was 07:00 ish = sun well & truely up and a lot warmer and mpg went up again .
thanks to all for your time and help regards paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts