Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted silicone vacuum pipe to my car today, with the standard rubber pipe and the bleed valve slightly open the car was boosting just into the red section. After fitting the pipe I went for a run and when I put my foot down the boost went straight off the guage and continually cut out
.The boost was so strong it actually blew the Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum connection clean out the end of the manifold .

I refitted, turned the bleed valve off, and in 2nd, it's auto, it was still boosting to the end of the red and tripping the overboost.

Didn't get the chance to test it much on the way home as there was too much traffic .

I'm well impressed for £6.50, just shows how much boost I was losing through the rubber pipe.

Neil

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I replaced my old rubber hose with silicon a little while back but was doing so much other stuff I'm not sure how much difference it made on its own. Still it's red, so matches the DI cartridge, poly torque mounts and the rest of the car

How knackered were your rubber hoses?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Neil(CS2.3T):
[qb]II'm well impressed for £6.50[/qb][/b]
Where'd you get it for £6.50? Anywhere I've enquired wanted a fortune! How much did you buy. I reckon it takes about 3 metres to do a late-model 9000 (maybe more - I've never actually done the hose to the boost gauge).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Only problem, postage was £6.17.[/b]
I've always got my silicon hose from Demon Tweeks but don't think the p&p was that much. I 'phone and ask for standard Post Office rates instead of next day. It comes next day anyway.

Just looked at an invoice: p&p was £3.58 inc VAT for 2x 3m (doing both cars...)

Originally posted by BillJ
I reckon it takes about 3 metres to do a late-model 9000 (maybe more - I've never actually done the hose to the boost gauge).  [/b]
3m does it fine. Compared to a C900 there's very little hose in a 9000.

As an aside you always need to get the length of the plenium chamber to MAP sensor hose exactly right.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb]As an aside you always need to get the length of the plenium chamber to MAP sensor hose  exactly  right.[/qb][/b]
I understood that not only was the length of the MAP sensor hose important, but also the material. That one isn't made of the same rubber as the others and I've never had to change one. I wouldn't do so unless there was something wrong with it.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Neil(CS2.3T):
[qb]I got it from Deemon Tweaks, 3m worth for £8.14 inc vat.[/qb][/b]
I looked there before and I think I thought that was per metre. No wonder I thought it was expensive.

Anyone know if it can be got in black? Demon Tweeks only do blue and red, and that's a bit "boy-racer" for my taste.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is available in black (and also violet!), but you will probably have to order it (takes 2-3 days longer I'm told). I needed some in a hurry so I ended up with red - which does look a 'boy racer'ish but also matches the DI cartridge. It's made by Samco who also do some very interesting looking silicon hose sets as well, 'though none are directly listed for Saabs.

Derrick

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car boost has now settled down, must have been learning even though it's Jetronic, with the bleed valve closed it now boosts into the broken red sector, but more importantly it stays there, before I was suffering from tapering boost.

So now I've just got to set the bleed valve up again and it will be

Neil

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:
I reckon it takes about 3 metres to do a late-model 9000 (maybe more - I've never actually done the hose to the boost gauge).[/b]
I forgot to add 3m is about perfect, I haven't done the boost guage yet but I must have about 1m left after doing the rest.

Neil

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by fastersaabs
What internal diameter do us 9000ers need? (92' cds). I assume its the 3mm bore as this is £6.93 but thought I should chech first.  [/b]
First time I bought 3mm hose but this turned out to be slightly smaller than expected (sounds strange I know
). So bought the 4mm hose which measures about the same internally as the SAAB rubber hose. I used the 3mm hose to do the washer hose on the C900

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Don't the hoses have to be an exact size? I thought I'd read that up/down sizing them affected the transmission of the correct pressures to the various places its' sent?? Fuel pressure regulator etc.
Anyone care to comment?

Nick.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Nick,
I'd got the 3mm after measuring the diameter of the SAAB hose (a short length of unused "ECO" marked hose).But the Samco 3mm was closer to 2.5mm. The 4mm Samco hose, on the other hand, actually measured 3mm. It is still a very good fit. I've been running with it for 9.5k miles now and no adverse effect.

Edit: If people have doubts about silicon they should 'phone their nearest main dealer and get the OE stuff. From memory it's about £7.50 per metre (maybe plus VAT).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.