Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

When I replaced my hoses with silicone, I did the one from the rocker cover to the PCV valve, and from the PCV valve to the manifold.

I noticed that these two had discoloured a lot, and recently I read somewhere that silicone hose is not resistant to oil or hydrocarbon vapours.

This morning I noticed that the short hose had split and come off the rocker cover nozzle. The material seemed very soft.

Do I need to use a different material for these hoses? (Someone's going to say "rubber" aren't they...
)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mark,

As a Vauxhall worker, was wondering if you know the origin of "Vauxhall Fully Synthetic 0W40"? I can't imagine they refine and blend it themselves, so therefore would the Saab/GM link possibly point it in the direction of Mobil or Texaco?

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by marks carlsson:
[qb]We use the proper hose at the Vauxhall plant where I work[/qb][/b]
What's that made of then?

Some of the hoses in my car are made of something that isn't rubber or silicone... like the OEM hoses for the APC IIRC, and the one for the MAP sensor too. Also the one which I think is a vacuum line for the brakes.

It looks like the stuff all the airlines at work are made out of (Polyurethane I believe).

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've done nearer 50,000 on silicone and not had a problem, except for the hose occasionally slipping off the manifold stub under silly
boost. This was easily rectified with a small cable tie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts