Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done this... contaminated the plug contact, or the springs in the DI, with the silicone grease? How in fact do you apply the grease and fit the DI to make sure you don't? What would be the symptoms if this happened?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I spray it onto the end of the rubber boot. No doubt a goodly measure goes inside and I've never had a problem. The stuff is soft and would be penetrated easily by the spring pressure in the contact. Pretty sure it's used to lubricate switch contacts, so it must be OK.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was insulating grease? But I see your point about displacement.

I was just wondering why my fuel consumption suddenly seems to have gone from about 29mpg to about 26mpg!

Maybe I will dismantle and clean them just to check.

I must admit, I am very close to admitting defeat with this car and taking it to A & D Motors...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
John thats a very marginal diffirnce, maybe 5-10 miles diff then yes something somewhere not right.
Could be down to diffirent driving styles, at least that what I find, Iv'e got a 93' 2.0t CD and Iv'e just managed 90miles for a tenner and all I'm not doing is accelerating hard,i'm still using the turbo when moving,but honestly that figure your giving,IMO isn't much at all.
But then again maybe someone will have a diffirent view.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I generally agree with you Saab1... but at the moment, since the car is new, I was keeping a close eye on consumption (both from the computer, and measured the old fashioned way) to see how accurate the computer was, and what difference there is to my old car.

I also find that however I drive - within reason! - my mileage never moves more than +/- 1mpg... unless I do a long motorway drive, for example.

I was watching carefully because of general running problems.

However, the answer was more prosaic (and embarrasing ) ... a slow puncture causing a flat tyre! Doh... It did mean there was a problem, just not the one I was looking for .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts