Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CSE is at A&D in Yeovil today. He reckons performance probs are all down to badly adjusted base boost, which sounds odd but it'd be nice if he's right! I'll wait and see how it drives.

The downer is that he says the problem selecting reverse - which from searches here I could see could be down to 3 problems (coupling, clutch or box in order of nastiness) - is the worst thing it could be, requiring box out and strip and rebuild.

I cannot describe how annoying this is, especially having bought a new car because the box on the old one was worn and it wasn't worth repairing! Grrr... just *once* I'd like to have a lucky break with a car.

Ah well, rant over. Time to increase the overdraft. I was hoping to save for tuning parts, but I guess it's not to be.

Is this shamelessly looking for sympathy?

Yep

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion... I may do that. It's interesting. They've adjusted the base boost, but only using the built in boost gauge, not a calibrated one. It does seem better, but still not as quick as it should be.

Regarding the box, he isn't 100% sure but that's his guess. I said I was suprised that a car with less than 90K on the clock would have gearbox wear, and he sort of shrugged and said "[expletive deleted] gearboxes"! Suprised me - I know the autos are weak, but I must admit I thought that from 94 onwards the manual boxes were supposed to be pretty good.

Fingers crossed they may be wrong. Anyway, I'm just gonna live with it for now.

Meantime, I think it's time I invested in a boost guage

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a couple of questions for the forum, but I implied them rather than stated them, so I should state them clearly

Would you say that setting base boost using the built in guage is acceptable?

Would you expect gearbox wear on a car at 90,000 miles?

Would you say that 9000 gearboxes are by their nature weak or unreliable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
As you say, I know Auto boxs on 9000's are supposed to be fragile especially those fitted to turbo cars but as far as I was aware the manual boxes were reliable.

Having said all that my CSE has racked up 137K on the same auto box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.