Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a very new Saab 900 SE Turbo Coupe owner. My car is a 1997 model with a SID 3 in car computer and information system. The trouble is that the display has partially dissappeared,and only comes on and off when it feels like it. Very anoying, although everything behind the scenes seems to be working ok. My local Saab dealer told me they are un serviceable and can only be replaced at a cost of around £470 plus VAT.Has anyone had similar problems, knows how to fix it, or knows where I can get a cheaper replacement. Can't love the car as much as I did till it's fixed.
RichieF.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
These displays do fail. There are people who have had a go at fixing them with varying success. I took mine apart last year and played with it and got about 95% of the pixels back. The problem seems to be the connection of the thin multiwire ribbon connector running between the display and the circuit board. If you take the unit apart you need to increase the pressure on the connection point. I used a large elastic band. I unscrewed the display section and trapped the elastic band between it and the circuit board.

If you want to replace it you could try one of the many second hand parts suppliers and / or breakers. Good s/h ones are around £140, I believe, and new about £250.

The SID unit just pulls out and a new one can be plugged in. Probably easier to pull the radio and push out SID from behind.

If you have the top of the range unit it may need a dealer to connect Tech 2 computer for it to be fully functional - not 100% sure of this though.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, RichieF! As this post is not of a performance nature, I will move it to the GM900/9-3 board where it is more relevant and perhaps get quality answers. sgould's reply does hit it spot on, though!

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.