Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been to nose at a 9000i (cat) H reg automatic. It has a genuine 77k on the clock (can be proved) FSH and only two owners. It has a couple of scuffs/small gauges on the front and back bumpers. Some stone chips to the paintwork, engine looks clean and underneath ok, tyres have good tread. Interior looks pretty good accept where the sun has rotted/burnt the material on the sides by the back windscreen. I would get a 6 month warranty as well. orginal asking price is £1995 (expensive)but I think as it hasn't sold in the last month I could take him down.

So anyone want to give me some ideas or advice as it would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
seeing as I got 1800 for my H reg manual 9000 wiht 123K on the clock the price isn't that excessive. My car has some minor stone chips and scuffs on the bumper (one of which I caused by clipping my parents gate!)

The burn at the back sounds very odd... and it would be awkward to replace it I guess.

Did you start it from cold and listen for noises? How did it drive? was the transmission noisy?

Steve

·
Registered
865 Posts
up here that car would cost 5 or 600 quid you are being ripped off/think about it ,it is 12 yrs old,group 15 or 16 ins.not perfect dont touch it unless you get it for under a grand.i just got 95 cse immaculate one owner fsh high miles for less. air con/10 cd changer/cruise/elec everething etc. was offered 300 for my 91 9000s immmac.leather/multi spoke alloys/2.3 150 bhp. see photo on 900 site,so i said no way and gave it to a friend.lots of good saabs around for 12-1500/look on this site.good luck.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I agree with Zeppelin, £1,995 sounds expensive for a 12 year old non turbo. To get an idea of the going rate for 9000s have a look at either the classifieds on this website or the SAAB Owners Club adds or SAAB Trader . That will give you an idea of the going rate.

IMHO you'd be best off looking for an LPT as they offer more power and can be easily upgraded. Also might be less likely thrashed than a FPT. For buying dos and don'ts a good site is Quasi's.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
In my opinion the car is way overpriced to check the value just go to,
www.autotrader.co.uk
and do a national search for 9000 Saab's you will find plenty of bargains,just a case of finding the right one.Dont be fooled by the warranty offered as most small car dealers will offer what sounds to be a good deal but when you read the small print on the warranty you often find the maximun claim limit is very low say £100 so beware as on any car never mind a Saab £100 goes nowhere.
My advise is,buy one privately and if your not sure of the car pay for an inspection or take someone who "does" know about cars and if you buy the car you can always take out a proper warranty yourself also available through Autotrader.I bought a 2 year warranty for my 9-5 for £695 but if I don't claim I get £580 cashback so even though I don't expect to claim I have that extra peice of mind knowing if anything goes wrong I can evaluate whether it's worth claiming or fixing it myself.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I aggree with Zep on this,these cars here (Scotland) are worth washers,well one's that are 8/10 years+ ect,take mine a 2.3 auto,H reg,112k and a FSH to 99.5k.
Ok I got it as a non runner for £150,(and by the way this is dam near immaculate in/out)but when I tallied everything up eg the cost of the recovery wagon (to bring it about 25miles) £50,then AVA getting it going and a diagnostic tune (although I suppled another ECU,which I got from a scrappy £10,yes I took the chance!!)£140.
So for a grand total of £450 I now have H reg 2.3 auto,which has got dam near a FSH,been tuned on the rolling rd,and is running great (maybe I shouldn't have said that,oh well it's said now!).And that's what you more/less buy them for here,I think you are paying to much,but that's my opinion.
But I hope you get a good buy whatever you end up with,but that's just to give you an idea what these cars are worth "north of the border",not alot at that age!.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Agree with all above. Only other point is that people placing ads on Saabscene and Saab Trader (in very general terms) tend to be enthusiasts who overvalue there car (IMHO). If you look on the telegraph website in their motoring section there is a link to Glasses guide to value the car as a trade in (these are the prices I use, not retail prices). Glasses guide will give you an idea of how much the dealer will have paid (in the case of an old Saab probably less than bottom book value) you can then add a few hundred quid for his profit.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I agree with what the others have said - you can get a very nice FSSH CS turbo for a lot less than that. May not be as low miles, though you'd get more bits.

I flogged my 160,000 mile FSSH CS 2.0 LPT for £1550 about 18 months ago. That had one month old Saab Aero alloys and new tyres, plus £1500 worth of bills in 18 months! Just found a photo and uploaded it:

Just remembered - that car also had SOC history - so it was definately pampered and well cared for.

For £1995 your talking a very nice 2.3 FPT, or anything up to an M plate CS...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Personally I wouldn't get a non-turbo unless you really really want one. I've had the following cars:

9000S (1990)
9000 Carlsson 2.0 HOT (1989)
9000 CD 2.3 HOT

Of all those cars the CD has the highest mileage but is in the best condition and returns the best MPG; 28mpg overall after my first 1500 miles! I used to get around 24mpg from the Carly and only 23mpg from the S. I suppose I probably pushed the S slightly harder to get decent speed out of it whereas I don't need to with the turbos.

When I stepped up from the S to the Carly the only real cost difference was the insurance which went up about £150, going from the Carly to the CD it was actually £6 cheaper (although ****** wouldn't give credit!).

I'd keep looking if I were you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice Piccie Kev.

Thanks for all the responses.
As I said I would probably have been able to knock him down and it did have a good clean set of Spoke alloys. But I think I shall go hunting around right now. Just missed a 9000 CSI 16v by three days as well K reg, 73k and only £1250 (that was a private sale).

And exactly how much is that Carly of yours going for KevMc or as in another thread on the board suggests are you being allowed to keep it?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
And exactly how much is that Carly of yours going for KevMc or as in another thread on the board suggests are you being allowed to keep it?  [/b]
I think I'm being allowed to keep it! .....For now!

I don't want to sell as the things are so rare! (i.e. 2.3 9000 Hatch Carlssons). Most of this shape 2.3 Carlsson's are CD's (that I've seen anyway).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.