Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear members,
I would like to ask for your opinions about an oil leak from a gasket in the engine that is located near the serpentine belt. My SAAB is a 2003 9.8 petrol automatic. It could be the 'head gasket' in english.

This discussion about the oil leak comes up each year in September since 2017 with my SAAB mechanic as this is the month when I do all the maintenance. There is also a leak from the valve cover gasket.
I add about 3/4 cup absolute max ?? of oil each year, that is how much the SAAB uses. There is never a big pool of oil under my parking space, just drops of oil if that. I drive no more 6,000 miles a year. The car is not driven for about 6 months of year.

There is no excess oil getting on the serpentine belt or the pulleys. There is no noise or vibration.

In the past years I have just kept the engine surfaces clean of oil so that I can more easily be alerted to a 'bigger' oil leak should it occur.

The mechanic's response this year was to replace the valve cover gasket and just tighten down for the gasket (about 400 USD). His quote to replace the gasket is about 4,000 USD. I am dubious about his diagnosis as he is only looking down into the serpentine area with his flash light, ie he is not up close and examing every surface of the engine and looking for other possible sources for the oil leak.

My view is not do anything this year.

Does anybody and have an opinion on this.

Thank you

Regards

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would add best stop leak additive first. Sometimes they work for years.also.chrck with junkyards and engine sellers.i got. 06 and the lady jipped me off2 yrs ago. Blown head gasket. I scoured the US AND FOUND 4 OOTIONS. 450-1000 RANGE. I GOT A 41K from SFRANCISCO FOR870 W/18M WARRENTY.900 TO INSTALL STILL LESS THAN 4K

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear members,
I would like to ask for your opinions about an oil leak from a gasket in the engine that is located near the serpentine belt. My SAAB is a 2003 9.8 petrol automatic. It could be the 'head gasket' in english.

This discussion about the oil leak comes up each year in September since 2017 with my SAAB mechanic as this is the month when I do all the maintenance. There is also a leak from the valve cover gasket.
I add about 3/4 cup absolute max ?? of oil each year, that is how much the SAAB uses. There is never a big pool of oil under my parking space, just drops of oil if that. I drive no more 6,000 miles a year. The car is not driven for about 6 months of year.

There is no excess oil getting on the serpentine belt or the pulleys. There is no noise or vibration.

In the past years I have just kept the engine surfaces clean of oil so that I can more easily be alerted to a 'bigger' oil leak should it occur.

The mechanic's response this year was to replace the valve cover gasket and just tighten down for the gasket (about 400 USD). His quote to replace the gasket is about 4,000 USD. I am dubious about his diagnosis as he is only looking down into the serpentine area with his flash light, ie he is not up close and examing every surface of the engine and looking for other possible sources for the oil leak.

My view is not do anything this year.

Does anybody and have an opinion on this.

Thank you

Regards

Robert

My B205E 2001 was puffing a little smoke when cranking about 5 years ago and has a leak as you are describing. In panic I bought full engine gasket kit (150$) and all tools to replace. Then I found the turbo gasket was most likely cause, not anything in engine. Added STP stop leak and smoke stopped some time after. Never had a drop of oil under and I never wash the engine so the little oil that you are describing would not be of a concern to me. My saab is only weekend car by now. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts