Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to Abbott's on Friday to get them to check my suspension.

I was wondering if it was worth getting them to fit an Abbott dumpvalve to my car which currently has a Speedparts Stage 3 with the standard valve. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Perhaps, but the Forge valve (which is what Abbott sell) is available rather cheaper elsewhere.

To be honest, having run the Forge, Bailey and standard Bosch dump valves on my Aero, I'm not sure there's any noticeable difference. What sort of improvement are you expecting?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
It makes a nice noise

I just noticed tonight that the Forge BOV opens up / separates when the car idles.

When the car os off the aluminium inner sleeve is down over the holes.

When idleing, that inner sleeve is lifted up so you can see straight through the holes (and see the inner spring and piston).

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Improvements are only seen if the original Bosch BOV was knackered... but if you've done everything else.. you may as well do that...

As Bill says, this kind of stuff is generic, Abbott don't manufacture it... so if there is an alternative place to get the parts.. do it.. because it will always be less expensive.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Are they easy to fit? [/qb][/b]
Took me almost 5 minutes. The hardest part is getting the old one out of the hoses if it's been there a while. Twisting it or levering the hose off with a broad flat screwdriver should get the job done if it's stuck.

Never noticed the better response, myself. Theoretically, there should be less likelihood of turbo stall as you can hear that the action is definitely quicker (the "whoosh" becomes a short "phfft"). However, it's a good way to make sure you don't have a leaky valve, as the aftermarket ones are supposed to last longer.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I noticed when changing from a standard Bosch DV to a Bailey DV26 that my boost increased by approx 3 psi - this must have been due to the DV leaking in extremis - no other obvious faults were present.
Cant really say i noticed much if any improvement in throttle response though.
As Bill says it is a good safeguard if your DV is getting a bit tired.........

Pete.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by tandino(266bhp T16S):
[qb]I noticed when changing from a standard Bosch DV to a Bailey DV26 that my boost increased by approx 3 psi - this must have been due to the DV leaking in extremis - no other obvious faults were present.[/qb][/b]
Indeed, I had a similar experience but in reverse, with the Bailey valve starting to leak. Fitting a new standard Bosch valve as a temporary measure restored full boost and gave good service on a track day a few days later. I've now fitted a Forge valve. No perceptible difference in performance, but I'm hoping it will last for a while.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Dump valves not in my budget it has to be said. IMHO most people only buy them to get a nice woosh when they lift the throttle and perhaps so they can have more chrome bits under the bonnet.

With the stage 3 the next step would be an uprated wastegate actuator or a bigger turbo if you really want to splash out.

I just noticed tonight that the Forge BOV opens up / separates when the car idles.[/b]
Is this an oscillating pattern? Or have you figured what was causing the boost to oscillate at low rpms? Sorry if I'm not quite up to speed.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just noticed tonight that the Forge BOV opens up / separates when the car idles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this an oscillating pattern? Or have you figured what was causing the boost to oscillate at low rpms? Sorry if I'm not quite up to speed.  [/b]
No, not oscillating, solidly split so you can see through the vent holes.

I'm hoping the oscillating boost I had at the RR has been fixed by adjusting the base boost, but I can't find anywhere steep enough to get and hold the car at 3000rpm at WOT

Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.