Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CSE is coming up for it's MOT in the next month. The last MOT advice sheet said that the mid-section exhaust will need replacing ... Does this include the cat??

I hear horror stories about how much cat systems cost to replace so as well as considering the cost saving I could make, I'm also wondering whether it will be a performance benefit to be had by leaving it out when I get a new exhaust system fitted...

What do you think??

Greg

·
Registered
547 Posts
IIRC that cat on a 96 model should be on the down pipe so you will not need to replace it.

In my experience, you will need a cat to pass the emissions test so if you do opt to replace the downpipe with a sports exhaust, make sure that you keep the original downpipe so that you can swap it for the MOT.

Also, I have no idea about the legality or otherwise of the above course of action.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Unless you go for a 3" down pipe, in wich case no-one makes a 3" cat as standard, you'd have to convert it.

I'm having this trouble at the moment, I have a JT 3" Cat back system and want to replace the Down pipe with a JT 3". Seems I'll ahve to get a sport cat if I want to be legal.

Mark

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by greenphotos:
[qb]Unless you go for a 3" down pipe, in wich case no-one makes a 3" cat as standard, you'd have to convert it.

I'm having this trouble at the moment, I have a JT 3" Cat back system and want to replace the Down pipe with a JT 3". Seems I'll ahve to get a sport cat if I want to be legal.

Mark
   [/qb][/b]
At least the JT sport cat is cheaper that the genuine saab one

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Has anyone had any success with the cat from Summit Racing discussed here?

[Edit] Oh yeah Gregorius I asked a local MOT guy about cat's because I wanted to remove one from my wife's diesel Golf, and he told me with diesels there is no problem - they just have to pass the soot test - but with petrols, after IIRC '92 you cannot remove the cat (for MOT at least), no matter if your car produces the lowest emissions possible. I am still not clear on the legality or otherwise of removing the cat for 364 days of the year and putting it back on for the MOT.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
If your car can pass the emissions test without a CAT, then you can remove it for the purposes of the MOT.
The MOT at no point requires a CAT to be fitted, and not having one fitted is alone NOT a reason for rejection (fail)

If you remove the cat and it cannot pass emissions so you refit it just for MOT test, thats fine for the purposes of MOT, but if you were stopped by one of these roadside checks and fail, then thats another matter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Easiest way is to leave the CAT off, and refit it for the MOT.

Mine fails the emission test (but only just!) without the CAT. To remove the CAT bypass pipe and replace the CAT takes 10 minutes (providing you have a pit/car lift)

Road side tests? I thought these were the preserve of oddbods (edit by Scaero) and their red diesel burning 4x4's and [expletive deleted] tarmac lorries.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Ah yeah, after a bit of searching I see what you mean - the tester I asked either didn't understand the regs, or was just unclear. After that date, your car has to pass the emissions tests set for vehicles with cat's (i.e. more stringent test) but it doesn't actually specify that you have to have a cat fitted. Thanks for clearing that up!

No response on the Summit Racing cat though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts