Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my CSE going up in flames last week i'm having major doubts about buying another.

For info, my previous saab, a 93 AERO almost bankrupted me in that if it could break it did, I spent just over £3500 in repairs in less than 3years, NOT including many repairs under warranty, (approx another £2000).

I just had to get rid of it.so i did and said i would never have another saab.
So 3 years later after driving various makes and models i decided to take the plunge and buy another, i really wanted another 9000.I took my time, looked at 6 others before buying the one i did after all the right checks etc.
It was a really nice car and drove very well, the best of all i'd seen, then it went on fire.

So i feel like someone is trying to tell me something, (the wife certainly is-no more saabs )

I know all the good things about 9000's, the space,the comfort the

but seem only to get problems and bad luck

So help me out guys should i buy another and hope for the best?

Or give up and buy something else?

Davy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think that in asking the question you know the answer in your heart! Especially coming on here and asking.

My answer is yes, I regret oging from a 9000 to a 9-5 sometimes, especially since two months after I took the plunge a beauty of a 9000 anni came in with only 74k and has sat there in th dealers for about 5 months since. I am now trying to get a mate out of his 91 B*W 320 and take it home so at least I know and can drive it!

They may cost money and that is hard, weall know, but that is cause you wanted to spend the money on it each time. You may have felt you had to each time but looking back we all could of got rid of them at times.

I think you should go and get one, the worst thing is do get old and wonder what might have been! THIS IS NOT A REHERSAL, only you can make these choices, but reme,ber we spend more and more time in our cars, you might as well be happy and safe!

back to work for me and good luck

Regards

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Big Davy

All I can say is that I sold a 9000 because I was worried about running costs on an older car and bought a 9-5.

This car was the most expensive car I have ever owned, in terms of repairs and depreciation.

So I am now back in a 9000 - but with a different attitude towards running costs and big bills.

However much I have to spend on the 9000 it will still be cheaper than running a much newer car.

When a big bill arrives I will calm myself down by remembering that the 9-5 depreciated at the rate of £250 per month and the average monthly spend on repairs during the 18 months I owned it was around £125.

Plus I no longer have a big car loan, The 9-5 cost me £14,500. My current 9000 Aero cost me £3,650. £310 per month on a loan before. Nothing now.

So the 9-5 was costing me £685 pcm without even considering regular servicing, fuel etc.

Scary ! The 9000 simply can't cost me as much. I sleep better now, so get another 9000 and relax !

·
Registered
382 Posts
i agree with broken turbo. i have owned expensive cars before, and the depreciation is horrendous.i have owned 6 saabs 1 gave me trouble, the one i bought on impulse, now i take my time choosing, there are thousands of saabs out there to buy, have a good look around, and buy the best one. personally i would choose a late lpt with complete history and 1 owner. the car i own now is a 1 owner full history 97 lpt 9000 i bought it with 29000 on the clock for £4800 about a year ago. it is now a maptun stage 3 with suspension and brakes sorted, mileage now 41000. great fun,fast, safe, comfortable car that in a another year will owe me nothing.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
There is no question in my mind
I have spent almost 5 figures on my car ....
its 10 years old and has done over 200k miles but ..I cannot find another car with the mix of attributes that I desire The practicallity /comfort /ergonomics/economy
economy ? with a stage 6 with 400 hp I am averaging 27-28 mpg !!!
show mw any other car that can do that ... and plod takes no notice
so get another one but hold out for the right one...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the enthusiasm guys
I hear what you are saying, but in both my cases i thought i had chosen carefully.
My 9k Aero was bought from a main dealer, fssh, fully checked, fully warranted.Still let me down badly (one of only 2 cars ever to leave me stranded on the roadside.)
My latest CSE ECO fssh private buy but with all the right checks done drove perfectly v.nice, v.flammable!

So what's the answer look for the best i can find? (thought i'd done that-both times)

When i find one do i waste 2-300 quid on a AA/RAC inspection to tell me they think it's ok?
do i try and buy cheaply via a private buy and keep a repair fund,or spend £££ at a main dealer for a warranted car?

How did you buy your saab?

Trust in main dealer?

Or trust in yourself for a private buy?

Davy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Private buy (1995M with 65,000 miles on it).

Inspection of the bills showed the owner drove it to the Saab dealer every time she saw a problem of the smalled detail. It was very well maintained, but no warranty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Davy, in the end, you have to acknowledge that any car purchase is a gamble. I've spent three to four months weighing up the pro's and cons of various cars and rehearsing all the arguments (reliabilty/expense/petrol/diesel etc etc). As I'm now running my own car as a company vehicle, I really couldn't (can't) afford to make a duff choice and I hope the saab that i ended up with will serve me well, but in the process of choosing i've spoken to many people about many cars (including 1 guy whose lost/spent over 10k on a Range Rover over a 7 month period). You can check all you like, you can rationalise every aspect, but you have to drive and live with a car you like and can enjoy. If you want metronomic reliabilty there is always the Toyota Camry......

Two weeks in to my Saab ownership and i'm still smiling cos I'm tootling around in complete luxury for much less money than it would've cost me for a 3yr old ex-fleet diesel Mondeo.

As Dell boy used to say "Go on my son, you know it makes sense"

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Buy another,as to where depends on your mechanical knowledge,I now doubt the value of so called full Saab service history,or any other main dealer history if it comes to that.
If you do not know your way around a motor,find a man who does,follow the tips given on this site and you will not go far wrong.
Beware of ANY performance mods,find a bog standard model of your choice,if you want mods,do them yourself!!
Good luck

mike

·
Registered
865 Posts
you have just been unlucky.i have had six saabs from a 99ems to my present 9000cse lpt and never had any major drama.i boughtcse at 170,000 mls for a song,run it for three yrs.now at 208,000 mls and still drives great,all i have replaced is part of exhaust.get another one, third time lucky.best of luck ,zep.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
For what its worth my first two Saabs 9000 SE turbo then 9000 2ltr Carlsson were great very reliable, the last two 9000 2ltr Carlsson and a 1995 Aero were a nightmare, the difference I tuned the last two up and they were forever breaking bits and letting me down, fantastic fun but nightmares on the bank account

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
PS my 2000 CLK 320 has just had its first service in my 12 months of ownership at the main dealers,the amount..........bearing in mind the cost of oil was £75, a whopping £214.00 no parts to replace other than windscreen wiper rubber and the batteries in the remote, pollen filter and a couple of seals, I don't think I've ever had a service bill for any of my Saabs less than £450.00 makes you think doesn't it

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big thanks to all for their thoughts

I think i will just sit back and wait to see what comes up.
I've had a look around this weekend (with an open mind-just looking for a good car) it was interesting viewing!
I started at my local saab dealer, bearing in mind i'm on a tight budget, i was offered the following cars,
a 98R 900 talledaga 71K rough round the edges at £4995, a 98R 93 2.0iS a little tired, 68k at £6995.thats all they had in 'my' price bracket.to be honest if i was definetely looking for a 900/93 i wouldnt touch either.
I then dropped into my local F**d dealer and saw a 98R mondeo 2.0Si in mint condition ffsh 46000 miles not even a stone chip on this car, the price? £2800 yes £2800.

sorry i know a lot of you will be recoiling in horror at the thought of a mondeo but for half the price of either of the saabs i'd been offered it looked like a steal!
So i think i'll keep looking at anything/everything and keep all options open for now

Sorry again if i offended with the f word

Davy

·
Registered
116 Posts
The thing is with the F**D is that if you listen only to the sensible voice-in-head, you always end up hating spending any money whatsoever on it. Even normal servicing. And add to this the creeping sensation of 'What if...' every time you see a gleaming 9000 Aero charging past you. There are some expensive issues even with mondeos like clutches (I think)... My 9000 left me on the roadside twice last year. but I keep making excuses for it ,because it soo good.

·
Registered
234 Posts
For what it's worth, I've never spent more than £3500 buying a car (and that was a Porsche, which I still have). These days if you're careful, you can pick up a lot of car for under £3000 - fully loaded M*ndeo's (leather, V6, etc) are now in this bracket, and they're actually very good cars to drive.

My turbo SE cost me £500; ok, a few of the toys don't work, but I'm not bothered because I know I got a stunning bargain. And if everything falls apart after a year, I don't care - £500 for a year's luxury motoring is a bargain in anybody's book. Depreciation on a newer luxury car would be way more than each month.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make in a rambling sort of way, is that you have to expect a few bills with older cars, but ultimately it's still a lot cheaper than getting a new one. You just need to approach it from a different viewpoint, and don't be afraid to cut your losses if you get a big bill. And you'll have that warm feeling of driving a car you love

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.