Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey saab scene. i've loved saabs my entire life and would like to get one.
1. i am not mechanically inclined.
2. i live in a small town and am searching for a willing saab mechanic.
3. i own a 1972 ford courier and know how to search rare parts.
4. i will put all my effort and love into my saab (if i find a consenting mechanic)

any advice on which saab would be best for a guy like me? hoping for a newer model that can drive local on HWY between PDX & SEA. will absolutely baby the saab i find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can wholeheartedly recommend either a 9-3 convertible or sport combi (wagon) from 2005 to 2007. (I have one of each, the conv since new in 2005) I also have a couple of classic BMWs as well and the Saabs are much easier and cheaper to maintain. Both Saabs still get over 30 mpg still on the highway and are extremely reliable. I have recently driven the wagon a couple of times round trip over 2000 miles to Texas from dc and no issues at all. They have a few well known relatively minor issues if you can find one that has had a good previous owner that maintained them properly with Saab parts. Both cost very little to keep up but I do my own work and am an experienced tech. Stay away from 2008 to 2010 as there are some serious exhaust valve concerns on some of those years and why risk it? The wagon is still on the original clutch at 165 k miles. Both cars everything works except the gas gauge (well known sender issue and I am too lazy to drop the tanks to swap out the $35 sender unit, I hit the trip odometer to zero at each fill-up, so no big deal). With new pirelli p7s and struts on the wagon recently and the 6 speed manual, sunroof, with the top subwoofer stereo it is very fun and is the family pickup truck with all you can get in it, and wife loves the convertible still. Minor issues beyond normal maintenance items (tires, brakes, struts, hoses, etc) over 15 plus years have only been ignition coils (around $90 x4), ac fan blower control board ($200) and used engine control computer ($200, plus my knock off tech 2 diag computer). So that would be my recommendation for a new Saab person.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh i forgot, I did a valve cover gasket last week, $35 in parts and an hour or so, so yes, very minor for me, but if you don’t turn your own sockets you do need an honest mechanic with a tech 2 ….

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4. i will put all my effort and love into my saab (if i find a consenting mechanic)

any advice on which saab would be best for a guy like me? hoping for a newer model that can drive local on HWY between PDX & SEA. will absolutely baby the saab i find.
I can wholeheartedly recommend either a 9-3 convertible or sport combi (wagon) from 2005 to 2007. (I have one of each, the conv since new in 2005) I also have a couple of classic BMWs as well and the Saabs are much easier and cheaper to maintain. Both Saabs still get over 30 mpg still on the highway and are extremely reliable. I have recently driven the wagon a couple of times round trip over 2000 miles to Texas from dc and no issues at all. They have a few well known relatively minor issues if you can find one that has had a good previous owner that maintained them properly with Saab parts. Both cost very little to keep up but I do my own work and am an experienced tech. Stay away from 2008 to 2010 as there are some serious exhaust valve concerns on some of those years and why risk it? The wagon is still on the original clutch at 165 k miles. Both cars everything works except the gas gauge (well known sender issue and I am too lazy to drop the tanks to swap out the $35 sender unit, I hit the trip odometer to zero at each fill-up, so no big deal). With new pirelli p7s and struts on the wagon recently and the 6 speed manual, sunroof, with the top subwoofer stereo it is very fun and is the family pickup truck with all you can get in it, and wife loves the convertible still. Minor issues beyond normal maintenance items (tires, brakes, struts, hoses, etc) over 15 plus years have only been ignition coils (around $90 x4), ac fan blower control board ($200) and used engine control computer ($200, plus my knock off tech 2 diag computer). So that would be my recommendation for a new Saab person.
You should make friwends with a good mechanic. Scanwest in Seatle keeps me rolling. The also have occasional cars o sell. Don't try to do it yourself.
thank you! i know of scanwest and will certainly use them!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just found a 2006 saab 9-3 2.0 sport wagon i am interested in! hope to look at it tmrw! any suggestions of what to look for? he says its in great shape & is asking $3,400 which seems like a good deal. i was thinking to drop it at scanwest seattle to have them look it over before i bring it home to land of not many saab mechanics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll agree they're wonderful cars. I'm on my 7th Saab, and my current one is a 2004 9-3 convertible. My advice is this - with a good Saab shop nearby to help with diagnosis and repairs, don't be afraid to work on it yourself. Find a copy of the Saab WIS online and download it for instructions and diagrams. In my 50+ years of being a shadetree mechanic, I've usually found that I can buy all the tools I need with the savings from doing the jobs myself. Any 16-year-old car can turn in to a money pit if you have to pay someone to do every little thing to it. I still don't own a Tech II, but I usually find I can take it to my favorite Saab shop (Talliaferro in Springfield, MO), have them diagnose anything not readily apparent, then decide if I want to have them fix it or do it myself. Best of luck!

John Francis
Rolla, MO

·
Registered
7 Posts

Its a great car I had the 9-7x. When i sold it i felt so bad i finally got it in tip top shape, However I think i know why Saab went out of business, Their engineers are idiots, I had to rewire the headlights. Lower beam shutting down, not all the time, Sometimes just wouldn't start, I had to have it towed about 40 miles to my repair shop, When when I called my mechanic the next day, I asked OK how much now, He said "no charge" When they took if off the tow truck, It started fine, Now every where that i went I was always on edge. I wound up fixing the abs problems that kept lighting up on the dash, put in a new starter, I decided to sell it, No problem selling it, The car was in immaculate shape, You know most of these guys on this site Die Hard Saab owners, However most of them have a pretty good idea of how to repair these problems that come up. Now your # 1 comment was I am not mechanically inclined, So I hope you get the picture,

·
Registered
26 Posts
i just found a 2006 saab 9-3 2.0 sport wagon i am interested in! hope to look at it tmrw! any suggestions of what to look for? he says its in great shape & is asking $3,400 which seems like a good deal. i was thinking to drop it at scanwest seattle to have them look it over before i bring it home to land of not many saab mechanics.
How many miles and how many owners? Stick or auto? 17 inch wheels? Serviced at shop with records? Fair price if it has been maintained single or two owners, not so good if multiple owners, high miles, no records, and the standard issues have not been addressed. Definitely get it checked out so you know what you are getting. As has been said I love these cars and they can be lots of fun to drive, but I can do all my work so they are cheap to me to run. For example if the fuel gauge doesn’t work no big deal they all do that. But if 175k miles and on original struts, computer, clutch, hoses, belt, etc it will be due for those soon if the car was driven hard. If you don’t do that kind of work then figure that in your budget. Also, if a less then expert set of owners has attempted repairs then you see silly things go wrong. The stories on this site of things people do that don’t really know cars is amazing. They run easy over 200k miles and are actually very reliable if property maintained, but there are things at certain mileage that you have to be real about and set expectations. So yes get it checked out and make an smart decision.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll agree they're wonderful cars. I'm on my 7th Saab, and my current one is a 2004 9-3 convertible. My advice is this - with a good Saab shop nearby to help with diagnosis and repairs, don't be afraid to work on it yourself. Find a copy of the Saab WIS online and download it for instructions and diagrams. In my 50+ years of being a shadetree mechanic, I've usually found that I can buy all the tools I need with the savings from doing the jobs myself. Any 16-year-old car can turn in to a money pit if you have to pay someone to do every little thing to it. I still don't own a Tech II, but I usually find I can take it to my favorite Saab shop (Talliaferro in Springfield, MO), have them diagnose anything not readily apparent, then decide if I want to have them fix it or do it myself. Best of luck!

John Francis
Rolla, MO
completely agree with John - I have a 2006 9-3 convertible which has just rolled over 105k miles, been extremely reliable. But you can do a lot of work on it yourself and most parts are easy to find. Youtube is great for getting an overview and preparation, local part stores will loan you specialized equipment (recently replace the front struts and borrowed a spring compression tool, etc.).

·
Registered
2 Posts

any advice on which saab would be best for a guy like me? hoping for a newer model that can drive local on HWY between PDX & SEA. will absolutely baby the Saab I find.
I love my yellow 1999 Saab 93 convertible! I am the second owner and take great care of my Saab! It just turned 200,000 miles!! People of all ages compliment my yellow Saab, I think it must be the color! lol Buy a Saab, you will not regret owning one! Have a good day and good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts