Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To ALL/.

people tell me that my 2.3FPT with mods etc should run hot and such like.

I am however not entirely convinced.

It gets up to well past the "9" oclock mark within a few miles, and nearer to the red when going around town.

When I stop, the fan invariably comes on, and there is so much heat, I get a rush of hot air on legs when stepping out of car.

I can leave car half an hour or more, engine is still red-hot, and temp will be back to "9 oclock" or more almost as soon as i fire her up.

Performance is fine, bleed set up to run on high boost etc..

2 X garages have said dont worry, but it is in my nature to worry when it come to my cars engine...

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My 2.0 LPT doesn't get much above 9 o clock and it blows hot air under the sills like no-ones business. Kat's 2.3 FPT gets to about 10 quickly and sits there..

I often suspect that sensors/gauges just make you worry unecessarily,

Steve

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
When I stop, the fan invariably comes on, and there is so much heat, I get a rush of hot air on legs when stepping out of car.[/b]
I noticed this on my first drive of my new 9-3 Sport. If you think, the Cat is under there somewhere and gets up to ridiculous temperatures - and heat rises!

I am someone who RTFM which actually tells you not to park on dry grass for risk of temperature of Cat causing the grass to ignite!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
When I stop, the fan invariably comes on, and there is so much heat, I get a rush of hot air on legs when stepping out of car.[/b]
My 2.3FPT does too but if the ACC is set to ECO so that the a/c compressor doesn't run then the fan seldom comes on unless I've been giving the ngine a hard time or crawling in slow traffic. The fan is linked to the a/c system as well as the radiator sensor so will come on if the a/c has benn running.

Incidentally my temp guage sits about 8.30 but only made 7.00 until I replaced the thermostat.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Andy,

I shouldn't necessarily worry too much. This has been a much discussed topic on many forums. Saab temperature gauges actually cover quiet a narrow temperature range compared to some others, so seeing swings is quite normal. They're also not necessarily terribly accurate and consistent. As long as your fan is coming on, you're basically OK. However I can offer the follwing tips/pointers for running cooler.

Use Redline Water Wetter. This is a coolant additive that helps to keep things cool by reducing the surface tension of the coolant. Water by iteslf is a very good conducter of heat with relatively low surface tension. Unfortunately adding antifreeze to prevent corrosion and freezing actually reduces its cooling ability. The Water Wetter redresses this somewhat and reduces surface tension, thereby allowing better cooling. In particular, it helps reduce localised boiling which can happen on high performance engines. For summer running, I use just 3 litres (not 4) of antifreeze plus the wetter and water. It's available from Demon Tweeks.

Fit an 82 rather than 89 degree stat. It's readily available from Saab dealers.

Check the condition of your radiators at the front- are they blocked/damaged because this can reduce cooling efficiency.

Flush your cooling system and re-fill (at the same time as fittign the 82 stat, if you haven't already)

Interestignly enough, running the AC compressor can actually help to keep the engine temp down in certain conditions, such as very slow /stationary traffic when the duty cycle of the fan may be predominantly governed by the needs of the AC to dissipate heat rather than the engine!

Lastly, ermm... stay cool!

Mark

·
Registered
600 Posts
Andy,

My wife's 2.3 LPT does exactley the same as yours. I too was worried by this, I know the guy I bought it off and it had always been like this. The car had also been back to the main dealers 2 or 3 times previously and the response was always " some 9000's are like this".

Having said this, my 9000 Aero always runs at 9 o'clock and almost never gets past 10 o'clock. Interestingly when I follow my wife home on hot days the Aero's cooling fan runs for longer with the engine stopped.

I too like to worry, but the advice from Mark E above seems sound.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My aero tends to run at 8.30 ish and if it gets anywhere near 9 after giving it some stick then the fan cuts in. With my old CSE I was replacing the water pump O rings when I managed to snap the little lug from the small connecting piece in the block. I put it back thinking I'd got it straight but it was about 20 degrees out when it seated. After that, the car ran at about 10 o clock despite being a 9 o clocker before! Ended up changing the connectin piece and this returned it to normal.Just shows that difference in flow is critical.Worth flushing the system and possibly fitting a new water pump just to be sure it is up to the job...only £28 and about 2 hours work.

Ant

·
Registered
224 Posts
Same thing (if not worse) here. Gauge goes right up to the end of the white sometimes, especially when going fast (90-100 mph). I have even removed the thermostat, it runs ok on a cool day, but with an air temp of 35 C, a/c on and going up a long hill on the motorway I can see the needle creeping up. I'm still not convinced it's the radiator, I think it's just the fact that the radiator doesn't get enought air behing the a/c compressor and the intercooler, plus the heat from the turbo.....

As I said, on a 25 C day, it runs like a dream.

I guess some Saabs are like that...

Harry

1991 CS Carlsson

hot,hot,hot Greece

·
Registered
208 Posts
strangely enough mine ('92 2.0 LPT) started doing a similar thing yesterday.
Usually, from cold it goes up to a bit above 9 oclock where the thermostat opens ( I assume) and it drops quickly back to around 8. It generally stays between 8 and 9 unless crawling in traffic when it would go to about 10.30 where the fan cuts in and brings it back down to just over 9.

However, yesterday while stationary it went up to very near the red before the fans cut in. the fan brought the temp down but not very much before it went off again.
From what I can see there can be 3 sorts of faults.
1) Poor circulation/air pocket etc. I don't think it is that as the fan does it job when it comes on.
2) Fan thermostat failing. Maybe- it looks pretty corroded. However, I could hold the top radiator hose without too much discomfort so I don't believe the water was anywhere near boiling so I suspect the 3rd option....
3) Gauge or sensor or voltage regulator failing.

fwiw, the last time I saw this sort of fault was on my lotus where the instrument voltage reg was starting to go. It occasionally stopped regulating (giving battery volts out instead of 10.1V) which made the temperature and fuel gauges read about 25% too high. People tend to forget voltage regulators exist so it is the last thing they check with a fault like this!
Anyone know where the voltage reg on a Saab is and what instruments it drives?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.