Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
I know that saabsaviour offers them for 175$, IIRC.
Anyway, I think it's some kind of robbery, because it's easy to d it yourself, as I did. What's your car? if it's a pre-93 it's very easy, I did it in one hour in my '87, in a later car you'll have to do some more but it's atill a DIY job.

Basically all you need is to raise the pivot centre of the stick. So in my car I put 4 stacks or washers under the shifter housing, then drilled another hole in the shifter shaft to reaccomodate the pin that holds toghether the shaft and the central sphere, the one you can see when you pull out the boot. I had to remove a piece of the sleeve that you have to pull to insert reverse, I just did 2 cuts then out the halves toghether with american tape, once the boot is reinstalled everything is invisible.
The measure I used to raise the pivot center, and to lower the shaft, which shjould be the same if you want to keep the knob and, more important, the connecting rod at the same height, was half an inch.

HTH.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by BurnsSide42:
[qb]what are the real advantages to having a short shifter anyways?  Just curious. [/qb][/b]
Makes for quicker gear changes as you don't have to move the stick as far as you would with a standard setup. Disadvantages are that it's makes it easier to put the car in the wrong gear!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Before the mod, I could shift just with a wrist move, without moving the arm. Now I can shift just with a fingers move!
Much more confortable.

I don't really know about gear shift times, if they are improved, because the shifter now is a bit harder so this could outweight the decreased stick travel .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.