Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

There is an area that is foreign to me and I would appreciate some guidelines:

My 9000 CDE has 92,000 on it and as best I can tell the original shock/strut setup. I notice only a modest bump or two, but...it there a way to determine if I need to replace? The 9000 is a 1994.

What should I expect to pay(non-dealer) if I have someone replace?

Thanks for your imput.

wherewolfe

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The way I was told to check shocks was to bounce the car up and down and let go - it should dip down and then return to its level and stop rather than bounce any more.

I've done 106K on my mine but then again the UK roads do seem to be in better shape than a lot of the ones I've been on in the US.

Can't help you on costs sorry

Steve

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
cost me £350 to replace all shocks/springs
with an uprated koni adjustable kit and matching springs..note the fronts were inserts details on billj's website below
price for struts only...I would guess <£200/$300
If it is a strut replacement it is a relatively quick and easy job
btw my shocks were not worn out when I replaced them... I just wanted a more sporty set up
the shocks saab use are very long lasting
mine were 175,000 miles young !!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
The noise you hear in the rear, going over bumps, could be a number of things. But first, I'd check the rubber bushings that are on a few of the suspension items: ARB, trail arm links, etc. If it's not suspension related, then it could be exhaust, maybe?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
My old 9000i had original shocks & springs at 200K, so if things still work OK no need to replace (the bounce test as above). However, I had a 9000 turbo that rode beatifully with original springs & Konis, so I guess it's a question of whether you've got the spare cash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts