Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pushing it around my plate for a while, rolling it in my hands and judging the weight and likely impact, I finally bit the bullet and decided to get rid of the old girl. I've enjoyed - by and large - investing such a substantial portion of my disposable income in her over the last 6 years, but when I blew the cylinder head gasket the other week after a particularly rapid push up the M6, I was drawn inexorably to the conclusion that 300,000 miles (albeit with two of each: engines, gearboxes, turbos, alternators) was perhaps pushing things too far. But she's such a nice old girl - and with lowered suspension and shiny black paint all round still with the ability to turn heads - that I decided to get her fixed up one more time before (whisper it)selling her.

But what do you replace such a unique vehicle with? All that leather, wood, luxury and Not to mention the economy of gas. When it was new the SE 2.3t was top of the range. Well, there was only one answer. A 3.0t Griffin! I'm due to pick it up tomorrow.

And then on a trip to the supermarket a couple of days ago the poor old thing gave this rather hearbroken hiccuping sigh, and moaned gently as the red oil light came on. I pulled over: oil was ok and there was plenty of water in the header tank. I decided to drive gently home, but the car became increasingly reluctant and finally I couldn't put her through any more pain and retired half a mile from home, to be trailered off to Howe Engrg fo the final cost survey. she must have heard me talking about her replacement. I think it broke her heart.

Oh well. Never mind

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Oh, bu66er, mate!
I wouldn't say a cylinder head gasket at 300k miles was unreasonable in the slightest but the oil light sounds like a problem. Still, 300k miles! And I'll bet if you tot up the cost of the miles you've put up on her, you'll come up with a rather impressively low figure.

I'm very glad to have had the pleasure of driving her. And of chasing her at xx mph while Mark videoed her doing the gas-burner thing

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
And of chasing her at xx  mph while Mark videoed her doing the gas-burner thing[/b]
Yes, I remember the day very well, for I was the brave volunteer who sat in the front passenger seat. It is one of the best kept 9000's out there, a true tribute to it's owner.

I hope it's a fixable problem, although it sounds dreadfully similar to the symptoms I had when the cylinder head cracked on Mr Torque-Steer. I not only lost coolant but lost oil to the tappets and it just about made it to WMSS (who did a fantastic job fixing it up with a donor head).

I'm sure you'll enjoy the new wheels Gassy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. My sincerest condolences reach out to you and those around you. However things leaving mean things changing and as you already have mentioned your griffin I feel sure you pull through this difficult time.
But what I am realy interested in is it sounds like you had a saab turbo running on gas. I thought it wrecked turbos? I would love to hear about this as I have always dirven gas burners but thought that my move into turbo land had seen the end of those happy, heady days.

I hope you enjoy the griffin one came past me the other day and we had a thouroughly enjoyable exchange of increasingly risky overtaking manoveres for abotu 150 miles. :)

Tom

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, my 9000 covered approx 90,000 miles on gas. I have been very happy with it. There are several gas-powered turbos here on Saabscene now, I think. LPG technology has progressed a lot in the 5+ years that I was running on gas and now they are a lot more sophisticated. Mine hasn't really given any problems. It was a bit tricky to map it at first, and we had some similar issues to do with re-mapping it some weeks ago, but once that was done again I reckon we were probably running at 250bhp on gas. And the auto gear box has been fine guys! It needed replacing soon after I got the car, and before I started running on gas, and before I had the power uprated, and has coped perfectly well with the increased power levels

You should do some checking with LPG installers if you are interested. One I spoke to has converted quite a few turbos, including Saabs and Scooby's

Thanks for the commiserations, guys.

I brought the Griffin home today, definately a different type of motoring. Wafting, describes it pretty well, I think (but there's a definate, and rather pleasing growl from under the bonnet). But I was at a loss as to where to put the phone and the wallet when I was driving. Found a couple of tiny stowage places once home. Mind you, until I get gas installed I'd probably be wise to lose my wallet. Although the 50+ miles of the trip, mostly on motorway, returned an indicated 30mpg - so not too bad.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Excuse my ignorance here, is the Griffin a turbo too? ( 3.0 litre V6 right?)
If it is it must be mental, if it's not, is it really such a big power increase over a 2.3T? Or are you doing it for the TORQUE.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tom,
respectively , in answer to your questions,
1) £1,900
2) 24-25mpg ( may be improved when I get the mixture set just right, bit rich just now)
3) 43p/litre
A lot of money for sure, but if you do it with a cheap loan and do enough miles/month then you can be quids in ( very slightly) straight away, and enjoy envious glances as you " fill 'er up" for £20 odd quid.
Slight loss of power, but then you can always hit the "petrol" button if you want more ooomph.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was filling up with LPG at 39p/litre last week. My conversion cost £1900, and I've been quoted anything from £1,800 - £2,200 to convert the Griffin.

I was able to achieve 31mpg on a motorway cruise and 25mpg on short local runs.

When I last did the sums, a couple of years ago, I reckoned I was saving at least £5 every 100 miles - so it took about 40,000 miles to get payback, thereafter .... quids in. Although the price of the installation will have gone up this time, I would reckon that the increased differential in fuel pricing will give payback at about the same mileage, maybe a little bit less.

The Griffin 3.0 is not a highly tuned engine and as far as I can tell it has a small turbo. Performance-wise it isn't as quick as the current 95 Aero 2.3T. However it does pick up very quickly from both a standing start and from anywhere else in the rev range ... so yes, plenty of torque.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The V6 in the 9-5 Griffin was a completely different beast to the 9000 V6 Griffin, it basically had a LPT engine, the first asymmetrically turbo engine in the world, a single turbo driven from one bank of the V6 gave boost to all six cylinders, and there was no waste gate on the engine, the engine produced 200bhp and 235lb of torque, compared to 215bhp and 200lb torque in the 9000, so they traded power for torque.

·
Registered
217 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Tom,
respectively , in answer to your questions,
1) £1,900
2) 24-25mpg ( may be improved when I get the mixture set just right, bit rich just now)
3) 43p/litre
A lot of money for sure, but if you do it with a cheap loan and do enough miles/month then you can be quids in ( very slightly) straight away, and enjoy envious glances as you " fill 'er up" for £20 odd quid.
Slight loss of power, but then you can always hit the "petrol" button if you want more ooomph.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a quote of £1300 cash today to fit a system that fits in the bootwell. Seems a pretty good price to me.
Would a 2.3 Aero 9k run properly on lpg ie correct boosting.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's no reason why the 9000 Aero shouldn't run perfectly well. But I suggest that you get this in writing - especially if you go to the guy offering the cheap conversion - it's cheap for a reason. Check that he's registered / properly trained & certificated. Shop around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wanted to add my heart-felt feeling as to the loss of a loved one, may she rest in peace.

Just a question as to what’s happed to the old girl?

Not wishing to be insensitive but has she been buried, cremated for used as an organ donor? In which case she will be resting in Pieces

Sorry for the terrible pun but its late and I’m mental anyway (just ask my kids!)

I have been wanting to install LPG for some years and have pm’ed you years back on the subject (I think the old girl was at 260K miles then).

I still have not gone LPG as currently mature student about to start a 3 year degree in Network Engineering so cash is none existent!

Not helped by owning 7 Saabs at the moment! (All in need of money being spent but too good to scrap you know the story)!

Regards

Bill A.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the sympathy Bill (and all). Howe Engineeering have the car at the moment and were due to look at it on Monday. I've not heard from them and haven't had time to check with them, so I don't know what the damage is. Obviously I'd much rather sell it as a runner than as parts, but it is probably worth more n parts ... Abbott suspension, complete SS exhaust, etc etc etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.