Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this has been covered because I have searched....

However, my shark fin is tatty, and I'm obviously not prepared to pay the OEM price of £60 ish for a new Saab one.

I found this on ebay:
Clicky

looks pretty stock to me and for a fiver I suppose it can't be bad. Anyway I guess I'm not the first to think about this, so opinions pls.

Just to confirm, I have a dummy one so not interested in the functionality.

If I am, will buy and feed back.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
That's the one I bought and fitted. Didn't bother connecting it to anything.

It's been fine for a year. It seals on a flat gasket rather than the Saab O ring. Don't overtighten the fixing nut or the edges of the new gasket can curl up

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sgould, and advice noted.

Understand these are easy to fit on the convertible, just push the clips out on the boot lining and then there is access.

Rob

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi,

Mine is tatty too. The rubber surface is perishing.

How do I know its the dummy aerial I need?

I have the ICM2 (The one with the green screen).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Shark fin has nothing to do with the radio reception. Radio aerial is in the rear window.

There are three shark fins available:

1. Dummy.
2. One with an aerial for a carphone kit. Not needed for a bluetooth system.
3. One with a phone aerial and a GPS aerial for satnav.

If you don't have a carphone plug in type kit or satnav, you need a dummy shark fin.

·
Registered
544 Posts
At £5-45 it's probably three times more expensive than the factory fitted one.

Like everyone else, mine is pitted to hell too.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I went through the rear side door on her saloon. But on an estate, you should be able to get in more easily through the back edge after opening the tailgate. That's what I did on my 9-5 estate.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks - you mean pull off the rear door seal and roof lining I assume - is any of it glued or is the lining just secured by the seal?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Roof lining is just resting there! Nothing glued. I put a slight crease in the roof, but it doesn't show now!! :) Saab suggest taking the rear side pillar trims out too, but it's a bit OTT.

Don't damage the cellular padding that's there as head protection.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I received the fin and it is more or less identical to the Saab OEM, although shiny plastic not matt (doesn't look wrong in any case and £55 saving).

I won't do a picture guide but steps as follows - for convertible only and for non GPS only as that would need appropriate fin and wiring:

open boot.
remove lining by popping out 9 trim poppers and put somewhere safe!!!
unscrew 1 x nut
unhook the wire and remove cable tie from boot body.
from the boot outer side remove the fin.
clean up the muck underneath
the square hole wont allow the new fin to sit fully flush due to a small piece of rubber on the fin - hack this small piece off with a stanley knife.
line up new fin and use the included spacer and nut to affix - some small adjustment might be needed.
as mentioned earlier, do not over tighten nut as it has a rubber base.
re-affix boot trim being careful not to break the poppers whilst resetting them.
admire work, smirk at £55 saving, realise you're low on petrol, buy a tank costing £55.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Shark- Fin cover on my 2003 9-3 perished and cracked. I searched around for a replacement and, whilst I got one from via Amazon.co.uk (£11) that was cosmetically compatible - the Saab dealer said it wasn't functionally compatible. I couldn't find a new real one for less than £150. What I have now done is to pull off the perished cover (real easy) - this exposes a white inner cover, with the actual antenna poking out of the top. I then dismantled the "cheapy" - which gave me a hard plastic replacement outer cover (after removing the inner fixing lugs). I then used the new rubber gasket (came with the "cheapy") to seat the new cover, and fixed it all in place with black auto-sealer/adhesive (its a bit like bathroom sealer, but black). After 24 hrs for the sealer to cure, it seems to be well fixed and the antenna functions perfectly.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
IIRC all posts, present and previous, discuss replacing the shark's fin on all models of the 9-3 but only the estate 9-5. Does anyone know if access to the 9-5 saloon fin is reasonably non-damaging to roof lining and door seals?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The 9-5 saloon is similar to the 9-3. Access through rear side door.

I had a look on my old saloon. But I didn't need to undo it, I was investigating whether it had a phone aerial or whether it was a dummy. Like the 9-3 it's a bit tight without removing the rear pillar trim panel, but just about doable unless you have forearms like Popeye. I creased the 9-3 headlining because I left the pillar trim in place. It looked bad for a few days but you can't see the crease now.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Geoff

I had the shark fin replaced on my 9-5 saloon as a condition of sale, I am not sure if it is easier but they clearly approached it from the back of the headlining where it meets the high level brake light, presumably the distance you have to reach in is somewhat less? It is a job that you do by touch rather than needing to see the fixing or it was on the estates shark fin I replaced for a frend.

If going anywhere near the high level brake light cover be very careful, the clips are very easy to break and you then get the cover drooping and red light shining onto the parcel shelf.

A new cover was, if I remember over £30 and took some time to get hold of. Mine fell off with a loud bang and then broke even nore when it hit the floor. I had it temporarily fixed with strong velcro tape whilst waiting for the replacement but in warm weather the tape lost its grip. I got stopped by the chaps with those lovely blue lights (Police not chavs :D ) as I was "showing white light to the rear" I showed him the extra velcro in the car and the invoice for the part I was awaitng and got a "well sir you seem to have done all we could reasonably expect so thank you and on your way but please disconnect the light until it is fixed" Almost restores your faith!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
DSM - thanks for that.
VERY shiny replacement received today, but at a fiver who cares? Just need to be in the right frame of mind, and to decide whether to go in from the side or rear. Fortunately I have very skinny arms (muscles look like knots in cotton) so don't need too much wriggle room.
G.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts