Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tax disk is due for replacement at the end of this month, as is the MOT and I am also due the annual service. Since last year I have probably added only about 4 to 5000 miles. My last service cost about £300 and amounted to little more than oil and brake fluid changes, new air filter, pollen filter and I can't think what else. I am pretty sure they did not change the spark plugs. This year it is due the 66000 mile service which is a bit more comprehensive and does include a spark plug change but again I am expecting to be charged at least £320 from Nidd Vale in Harrogate (the last service having been done at Griffin in Boroughbridge). Frankly I am coming to the conclusion that I am flushing 300 quid down the toilet each year for what amounts to trivial basic maintenance (and there is always that nagging doubt that they did not do half of it). I have done it up to now mainly to keep the service log in good shape for when I sell the car. I have a late Anniversary 2.3T. The car has been almost completely reliable in the 2 years I have owned it with only a failed APC solenoid and worn front butterly bushes, exhaust mid section and tyres adding to the usual expenses. What is your collective advice? Should I wait 12000 miles between services and just do basic oil changes annually?
Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
A lot depends on how the 4k per annum is accomplished, of course - be it lot's of short journeys or one or two length of the country jobbies along the motorway. Oil changes, however, especially with a Turbo, are a must. I would suggest continue with the servicing from an indie, for peace of mind. If anything, servicing is a preventative measure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have cancelled my appointment with Nidd Vale and booked the car into Classic900 in Hull. They have a Saab Master Technician, Tech2 and look like costing half what I was quoted by Nidd.
Thanks for the help
Martin

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Aeropilot,
Good you have found a main dealer who doesn't charge for courtsy car. Most seem to if you haven't bought the car from them originally.

My annual service costs me £30 for Mobile 1 (use kwik fit for oil/filter change, which is cheaper in total than buying the oil and filter seperately!), plus cost for plugs (ever 24k - although I regap in the middle), air filter (if needed - definately not more frequent than every 3 yrs). Plus brake fluid and auto/box fluid change every 3 years from competent garage.

Exhaustr is stainless (so no prob) and I replaced front disks (Swedish OEM) and pads (original saab part) for £75.

Best and cheapest way to run a 6 yr old car!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Paul D:
[qb]Plus brake fluid and auto/box fluid change every 3 years from competent garage. [/qb][/b]
3 years is a rather long interval for a brake fluid change. Recommended max interval is 2 years regardless of mileage. More info on service interval is available on saabs.info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.