Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do timing chain/head gasket and in a very timely fashion, my alternator decided that yesterday it would expire its brushes.

It's in the process of being reconditioned but I wanted to get the consensus of opinion.

I'm going to put a new serpentine belt on when it all goes back, should I change the two tensioning pulleys too? It's another £30+ and in the general scheme of things not huge but by the time i've added up all the other bits, costs can tend to run away.

On the other hand, I'd like to think that the inner wheel arch liner can come off just once and go back on just once

Anything else that I should be looking at while in there?

David.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by David Taylor:
[qb]I'm going to put a new serpentine belt on when it all goes back, should I change the two tensioning pulleys too?  It's another £30+ and in the general scheme of things not huge but by the time i've added up all the other bits, costs can tend to run away.

[/qb][/b]
Assuming the belt is being replaced because it's worn, I'd say yes. I had a belt snap, Newbury Saab replaced it but didn't replace the pulleys, and the new one snapped 6000 miles later

·
Registered
330 Posts
Its always wise to replace the pulleys on these if you are changing the belt, as the bearings can run dry and fail at the most inopertune time,normally costing a lot more money and hassle when you need it least
G.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the consensus guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I don't mind doing the job once but a few miles later on, re-doing a duff pulley seems a waste of time.

David.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.