Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, following excellent advice from this forum ive tried to sort out the erratic idle that affects my '96 2.3 cse auto. The beast hunts from 500 upto about 1800 rpm before settling.Mostly from cold.So I attacked the intake components with carb cleaner, put it all back together and hey presto! check engine light on! [3 flashes,air intake sensor]. Idle just the same.So now 2 problems.....any advice please before I make it even worse.Would disconnecting the sensor have this result even though its now back together?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by K9SAAB:
[qb] ..attacked the intake components with carb cleaner, put it all back together and hey presto! check engine light on! [3 flashes,air intake sensor]. [/qb][/b]
do you mean the air flow meter? theres three almost invisible wires inside which are very easily damaged.. break these and its toast.
i hope im talking about something else, cos my replacement was £120

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gawd, i hope not. the one i unplugged and cleaned is the small brown box on the aluminium downpipe.Ran the car this morning and the idle seemed a bit steadier,but check light still on.bless it!

·
Registered
778 Posts
K9, it doesn't sound like you're cleaning the idle air control solenoid. This is usually the component that gives your vascillating idle symptoms. It's located on the underside of the throttle body. I'm not sure where "small brown box on the aluminium downpipe" relates to, but it doesn't sound like the IAC solenoid, which is cylindrical, has two hoses and an electrical (2 wire) connector attached. And, hopefully, there is a connector that is not connected which is throwing the CEL.

·
Registered
335 Posts
'small brown box' could well be the airflow meter.. (ouch) basically it sits piped between the air filter (big box adj. inner wing) and the air pipe to the inlet side of the turbocharger.
basically a 3" round box brown or black with a small elec connector to it - if you stuffed a rag or finger down it to clean/dry it youll have damaged one or all of the sensor wires inside it, this will put the engine check light on (did on mine anyway when one broke) the car will still run, just a bit lumpy..
i would happily take pics to help where things are located - only problem is i sold my baby (9000 2.3fpt Auto) to Axl this afternoon - so its currently boosting its way to sunny scotland

...arggh just realised i'm saabless

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Being MY96, K9SAAB's car doesn't have an AMM as it's Trionic.

The connector being referred to is, I'm 99% sure, the air intake temp sensor. It sounds like perhaps you've tried starting the car with it disconnected, or even turned the ignition on with it disconnected.

Disconnect the battery for 15-20mins to clear the fault, then it should be OK.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all,i'm pretty sure mark that what you are saying is right.I think dumbo here may well have turned the ignition on too get some music!! .
Maybe I'll try a squirt of carb cleaner in my ears, it may clear my brain until I can afford an upgrade for it!.Will try disconnecting the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.