Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 9000 2.0 CSE has overheated. This caused the head gasket to blow and the head to warp. It also damaged the turbo, which now leaks oil. The head has been re skimmed but the engine missfires on one cylinder. The injector was swapped but the same cylinder missfires. The mechanic and I think the engine management computer is to blame for the whole ghastly show. Can any kind person help tell me where to get a reconditioned computer and turbo or get either mended in the London UK area. I am as they say as sick as a parrot.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Dave and welcome to Saabscene- sorry you come with bad news though

Dealing with your problems in order:

I've not heard of a failing ECU causing an engine to overheat to such an extent as you describe. Overheating is nearly always mechanical in root. It sounds more likely to me that your head gasket failed first and caused the overheating.

However, the 9000 is well equipped with erro reporting to warn you of impending failure- there is a sensor to report on coolant level and if there was a fault in the ECU, it's likely that it would have shown up as a check engine light.

The most likely cause of the current misfire is a failing DI cartridge. The accepted method of confirming this is to try another on on the car.

As for replacements, you could try Neo Brothers or Two Stroke To Turbo

HTH, let us know how you get on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark

We have changed the Injector to another cylinder but the old one is still getting too much petrol. Doesn't that mean that the computer -ECU is at faulty? I'm reporting all this second hand from my trusty mechanic Graham who doesn't have the Net.

David

·
Registered
393 Posts
You say the cylinder is getting too much petrol.... is it, or is it that the petrol in that cyclinder isn't actually getting ignited and burnt?
When my DI cassette failed I had exactly the same symptom, a misfire from one particular cyclinder. So I tried swapping the plugs around to see it that cyclinder had a duff plug. No difference. I did the same with the fuel injectors. No difference. New DI cassette, everything sorted.

Like Mark E says, try and find someone nearby with a working DI cassette and try it in your car.

I got mine from Haymill Saab in Farnham Common (Slough) for 150 quid (180-something but with a 20% discount for being a member of the Saab Owners Club).

cheers,
Ben.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ben for the idea. We removed the injection rail and found that 3 injectors were giving the correct misty spray and one a solid jet. Swapping the injectors did not solve the prob so we conclude that the ecu has gone down on that cylinder's circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.