Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, its me again
I'm steadily progressing through the jobs on the car and am now considering the cause of some of the knocking noises from the engine. Both sources of knocking noise are the top driver side end of the engine. One knocking is sharp and almost ceramic and only occurs for a couple of seconds after starting the engine from cold. This I assume is the hydraulic valve lifters being a bit slack until the oil pressure has pushed them up, so I'm not too worried about it. The other noise however is more of a softer metalic rattle and clatter that does deminish a little after a few minutes running, but never totally goes away.

Is this likely to be a problem with the timing chains, is it normal, should I worry?

Is there a recommended interval for changing the timing chain and chain tensioner?

Thanks in advance
Kev

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Kev

It might be worth checking the pulleys on the serpentine belt. My K reg has a gentle rattle and if I tap the idle pulley (with the engine stopped) it makes the noise that I can hear when the engine is running.

Steve

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
When was the balance chain last changed? Dependant on mileage for piece of mind this is something that is best to sort out before it becomes a problem. When it fails it can and has made mincemeat of many engines.
I've just thought...I wonder if an inspection cover can be fitted to allow an internal look of the lower sprocket without taking everything off?
I have a spare cover, might just look at that sometime.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve
I don't think it is that. I can hear the noise coming through the far top drivers corner of the engine. Sounds like it is either under the cam cover or from the very top of the chain cover.

Mark
Would I be right in thinking that inspecting the chain is a bit of a faff, and replacing it can be a right PITA?

Kev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts