Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently only have 1 Saab but my fiance will be moving in in April and will need a car. I am also moving jobs and will be driving 130+ miles a day to and from work. I am concerned that my 1990 9000 with 130,000 on the clock is going to get run into the ground or become very expensive to run.. So the question is : do I get a newer saab (and in that case which one) or will my old 9000 keep me going for some time to come (I worked it out at 100,000 extra in 3 years).

Steve

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Properly maintained your SAAB is perfectly capable of giving you almost unlimited mileage. It depends where you want to draw the line on service costs. All parts eventually wear out.

My view is that by 250,000 you may very well be looking at replacement gearbox, clutch etc, if not engine (it depends on how well it was treated before you got it).

I'd rather be driving a SAAB because of comfort and safety. If you want cheap (uncomfortable & less safe) driving get a 4 y.o. Fiesta and scrap it after three years.

In three years your situation will have changed. You might be doing a different job, you might be better able to afford a newer SAAB.

What mileage will your fiance do? Use the SAAB for the longer trips and if finance is an issue get a cheaper car for whoever is doing the shorter or less hazardous runs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts