Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience of getting using second hand TCS components (throttle housing etc. etc.) and do they work OK when refitted and was the person who refitted them OK about doing it. Whereabouts did you get the components from also.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I gather you can be into very dodgy territory there! I think I've read that it's possible to destroy some very expensive components by just fitting bits, without access to ISAT or Tech II.
I would think your best bet might be to talk to someone like Two Stroke to Turbo?
Pete.
ps: I cant believe that no-one has ever tried to repair one of these units, after all it's only a fancy stepper motor??

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have and NO NO NO....
false saving
I fitted one (actually it was the saab dealer)
first one was duff fitted a second one ..took several hours @£60 an hour to get it to go
At the end I was only £200 off what it would have cost me for a new one
then it only lasts a year !!!
so guess what
I fitted a new one but got my new spannermen to order it direct from sweden ..saved £40 % on uk price...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mmm, I know what you mean. BUT, there's no such thing as 'can't take it apart' really is there??
After all, if they built it, surely we can dismantle it??
I'd really like to get to have a good look at one of these throttle motors. Anyone got a scrap one?
Pete.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
 IIRC it's a pretty straightforward thing to do...[/b]
I'd heard the opposite!

It probably is really easy, and there's just a conspiracy to keep us paying loads of dosh to dealers and mechanics!

If it wasn't that hard to do, surely there'd be loads of de-TCS's cars out there?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Well Trent Saab fitted a new Throttle body to mine while it was under their ownership and therefore at their expense. So I'd suggest that it's probably easier and therefore more cost effective to repair the TCS rather than convert to a standard cable throttle. If the car left the factory with TCS and was converted I'd suggest that counts as a major mod and would pump up yer insurance premium.

I know there is a conversion that can be made to the throttle body to take out the TCS control so it just becomes a direct (although still electronic) throttle. I don't think that procedure is too expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.