Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if people have any advice on the best way of tidying up small dents, bumps and paint scratches? T-cut? Touch up paint? Respray? I'm looking for cheap options.

Also noticing some rust in the wheel arches, whats the best way of ridding it from my saab? Got some ideas, just wondering what others have done?

Cheers.

Gas.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My pleasure - the same results can be acheived on other panels, bumpers and skirts. As for the rust it depends on how bad it is (proberbial tip of the iceberg) and how deep. Try get as much out with a wire brush or similar. If you have a hole uses GRP, filler, primer and matching rattle can. Easier if the car is not metallic!

·
Registered
184 Posts
My pleasure - the same results can be acheived on other panels, bumpers and skirts. As for the rust it depends on how bad it is (proberbial tip of the iceberg) and how deep. Try get as much out with a wire brush or similar. If you have a hole uses GRP, filler, primer and matching rattle can. Easier if the car is not metallic![/b]
I have tried sending you 2 PM's but they don't seem to have gone.
Do you think it would be possible to spray out some bad scratches that some kind person applied to my 9-5. I was hoping I could do it myself with "rattle" cans from a Saab dealer. The colour is silver. Also do you know how you can tell when rubbing down when you have got through lacquer coat and into colour coat.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
PM received and replied ;-)

As for the existing laquer coat, SAAB paint is very hard and the new paint will still be fairly soft, so as long as you are careful and take your time, it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi,

This depends on depth of the scratch(s), but I got some light scratches out of the rear bumper on my 9-3 using Meguiars Scratch-X. According to the instructions they tell you to use it dry, but after talking to a guy at a garage I was working near, he said to use it wet and use an electric polisher to vary the pressure to get better results.

I did not have an electrical polisher so I tried it with a cloth, sprayer full of water (used an old one from some kitchen spray, I'd washed out) and the Scratch-X. I applied the scratch-x, wet it and kept polishing it. Spent maybe 15 minutes on it and it worked really well.

Then polished the car and it looked great.

Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts