Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody knows how to wire a SCC computer, taken from a '92, in my '87? I read in another board that it must be possible, but it wasn't explained how.
The thing I bought for 10 euros has two places for two rectangular connectors, for a total of 8 wires, my car has one rectangular and one with three wires in line. i now tha I have to bring the speed signal there, but I don't know how, and I don't know how to put toghether wires, since I tried to hook my rectangular connector in both the ree places in the SCC but nothing lit up.

Can anybody help me? if somebody has some electrical schematics to send, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what's its proper name, but it shows on the left, digitally, the istant and average mileage, outside temperature, the road I can run before I run out of petrol, and battery voltage. It has on the right the "check" light, with the three "engine", "radiator level" and "oil level" lights. I believe it has the PRND321 pattern, with a array of leds under it, but they don't work because my car is a manual.

I replaced the original EDU of my car because it had problems with another from a '89 car, it was identical and bolted on with no problems.

Can you really help me?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The EDU and SCC are thankfully separate, athough the speed portion of the SCC uses pulses regenerated from the speedo I think (at a higher rate than that generated by the electroic speedo transducer on ther electronically generated speedo cars).

When I initially fitted the SCC to the Carlsson, I used the 3 pin power plug to drive half of one of the 8 pin side , and the 8 pin plug the other. I then spent a few days investigating where the other 8 pin plug lived in the wiring loom (it was tied back down by the clutch pedal!).

I'm not sure a car as old as your will hav it though.

Andrew

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tonight I finally made it partially work, in the meaning that it works ok but it can't see my speed, so it doesn't know I'm moving. I did exactly like you, I put the big connector onto the 5 plugs and the little one on the 2 plugs of the other empty slot. So there is one plug uncovered. You're saying that there can be somewhere in my dash a connector to put onto the 3 plugs? I'll look for it. If I can't find it, can I splice a wire coming from the speedo and bring it to the uncovered plug? If so, which I have to take? I seem to remember two wires on the back of the speedo. Can I check for continuity between the two speed wires and gound, to state which is to take? The grounded one, if present, couldn't be the bringer of the speedo signal.

What do you think of it?

Thanks, you've been helpful so far.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Stefano,

Your's being a LHD car, the plug would have been in the lower passenfger side foorwell (well botton of the centre console, about 8-10 inches up from the floor level.

Also, being LHD, it may be easier to find and feel up to the SCC. It was a bu99er to thread up in the RHD car.

Speed wire is green if i remember correctly.

I'm not sure where abouts the feed comes off the cluster wireing.

I'd life the carpets in the passenger footwell, centre console and have a though scout around 1st.

Andrew

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I did it. I looked for the plug that Scareo told me, then I decided to build one. I used a half plug from my old EDU, I wired in two of the 3 wires of the plug that went to old clock, and the spliced wire from the speedo. Now it works! Great!

Thanks!

Do I need to calibrate it? how is it to be done? My owner's manual refers to the DCC computer, that seems different to me.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I don't think that there are any calibartions.

Just check that the correct distance and speed are being registered and itf so then your OK.

find an open road at a constant speed, set a short distance and check that the av speed is the same within reason to the speedo, and that the dist to go drops at the same rate of odo climbs.

To cycle the setting press all three upper buttons togeter for 3-4 seccs.

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'll throw this one in 'cos it's an old weeping sore of mine... 93 model, clock not full EDU. I can only access 3 of the four modes of fuel consumption/temp display I want-

mpg/deg F
mpg imp/deg F
l/100km/deg C

but not mpg/deg C

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]That may be because the 4 flavour was only added around 1993.

My 91 carly has on 3 listed in the owner book. the CS Aero has 4 listed [/qb][/b]
Now that's really wierd - 'cos my last K plated CSE had all four modes, whilst my newer L plated CS doesn't!

Oh, and I got it wrong first time- it's imp MPG/deg C I'm missing. Sorry for any confusion!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I miss a mpg-°C too. I'd like to have a fuel economy meter proportional to km/liter, a unit that increases when I go slow and decreases when I push hard, because I'm used to km/liter. I could use mpg-°F, but I'm not familiar with fahreneit at all, an I'm not planning to become. I didn't knew that newer cars had a fourth mode.

But anyway, when the turbo kicks in, and my tweacked APC does its job, who cares about it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.