Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided to end the over long thread so please use this topic to post any pics found from this weekend.

I thank everyone who came out for the very enjoyable weekend.

So here starts the eye candy!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will start with a group pic provided by philip hs from the kart track.

Back row, left to right: Philip (philip hs), myself, my friend Mike, Mark (Mark A), Gavin (Sevenman)

Front row: my wife Anne, Desmond (Injectie), Kevin (Aerohead), and Gavin's girlfriend, Karen

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another pic provided by phlip hs. This one is of one of the many castles along the Rhein River from the boat cruise we attended on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A great pic of Mark A in his verry quick 9000 at T13 on the Ring. His passenger is Gavin (Sevenman).

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me driving the Frog (my sife's Twingo) with Desmond, Gavin and Karen as passengers. Pic also taken at T13.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Phllip's Viggen cabrio, Gavin (Aerohead) and Karen's 9000 Aero and my 9000 at the ring on Thursday.

Group photo for the castle trip on Friday. Eric(Blue9-3) and Anne - Gavin (Aerohead) and Karen.

The Castle.

The Castle inside:

On Saturday a lovely trip down the Rhein, through the Mossel valley by boat after a frantic highspeed run down the autobahn.

Philip having a bit of shuteye after a heavy night previous.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The cars are ready for a full day at the ring on the Sunday:

Some serious cars at the ring.. for example this Ferrari F40 at the ring :

A 4 cylinder turbo engine, Saab should now be copying, Mitsubushi Evo 7 engine :

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Imagine this lot in your driveway :

Obligatory Saabscene posters mugshots:

Gavin, Karen and their 9000 Aero. (p.s. Gavin isn't Aerohead as I said above.... thats Kevin below - doh!)

Kevin and his 9000 Aero

Eric Burr and his mad Hirsch 9-3

Desmond (Injectie) and his 9000.

Philip and his mad 9-3 Maptun tuned Viggen cabrio..

The famous Ring-Twingo and it's owners Eric and Anne Burr (The great hosts of a wonderful weekend)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure of this guys name. Some of the others talked to him. I think they said it has a 9000 intercooler among many other mods to the tune af about 225 hp.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Had a great weekend!...

Was going to take the 9-3 since it had recently been serviced, brakes changed, everything tightened etc.. but at the last moment decided to take the 9000 for a laugh.

Auto and TCS at the ring ? Not a good plan.. but anyway, whatever.

Fueled up and left Delft.

Leisurely drive down, no traffic jams and arrived at the ring at around 4o'clock. Had a bite to eat and met Philip, Kai Eric, Gavin, Karen and Anne.

Keith Maddock, a friend of Eric and I from the ringers.co.uk list arrived with his Porsche 968 Club Sport.

Eric took Gavin and Karen out for a site lap to show them the track, and I took the 9000 out.

It wasn't great. Felt ponderous and unhappy, shifting at odd times mid corner.

Keith took me out in the 968 and started to really show me details regarding the finer points of correct lines in certain corners which was hugely valuable.

Took Keith out in the 9000, but hadn't really fully absorbed all the details he'd told me, plus the 9000 was feeling really unhappy.. so it was a scrappy lap. The brakes (Trent Saab Stage 2) felt as if the front disks were warped and the vibration when braking was not fun.

However the good news was that the 9000 was running well, and had no problems with cooling. The ring was empty and Gavin had a great chance learn a little about it without a lot of traffic.

We set off from the ring to head to Eric and Anne's place in convoy. Settled in and a few beers later, it was decided that Eric and I would try the Saab dealer in the town they lived in to see if I could get a new set of brake disks. So early Friday, we set off. No joy. However the good news is that they are nearly finished with fitting the Viggen Rescue Kit to Eric's 9-3 and it would be ready in a few hours. So no Twingo required for Sundays laps!

We headed back, the grumble from the front of the 9000 getting progressively worse, when suddenly the interior fans kicked into high gear and wouldn't shut down. Damn. I'd just replaced the interior fan speed controller two weeks previous with a new one from the Saab dealer at a nice cost of around 200 euro!. Oh well.. warranty on that one I think.

We all drove out to Trifel and visited one of the ancient castles on the top of the hill, some parts of it dating back almost a thousand years. And great views out over the countryside. Germany really is beautiful.

On Friday evening, after a terrific BBQ at Eric's place, I decided to do some maintenance on the 9000, jacked the car up, adjusted the wastegate down a little (base boost) to allow for more progressive boost, cleaned the Airmass meter, cleaned and reoiled the JR filter and cleaned the throttle body. Adjusted the tyre pressures from 2.0bar all round to 2.4 bar front, 2.5bar rear. Softened the Koni dampers at the front. But unfortunately because I couldn't source 9000 brake discs the braking problem would have to stay.

Kevin arrived at about this time, and as luck would have it, he had purchased but hadn't yet fitted the Trent Saab Stage 2 discs and pads (Brembo Grey Iron Group N discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads). AND HE HAD THEM WITH HIM!!!!

So a quick business transaction was agreed, I bought his new Brembo disks from him, and Eric and I changed the front discs over. Midnight.. it was time to sleep.. as Saturday brought a highspeed derestricted autobahn run and Mossel valley cruise.

Saturday dawned... and after a lovely breakfast provided by Anne at the the Burr's place, Eric and I went out to bed in the new discs on the 9000. That done, it was time to set off, just before we left - Desmond arrived with his 9000 2.3 NA from The Netherlands.. he'd left the house at 5:00am to join us. We all blasted off, Kevin in his excellent 9000 Aero with co-pilot Desmond. Me with Philip who had just arrived with Viggen 'vert, in my 9000, Gavin and Karen in their wonderful 97 9000 Aero and Eric and Anne in the very very fast 9-3.

De-restricted Autobahns. Wonderful concept. No speed limit, perfect surface, light traffic. 240 (150mph) to 250KPH (156 mph) was easily reached by the group and held as a cruising gate for quite some time. All the Saabs handled it perfectly.

We arrived early (funny that) and soon we were off on the Rhine, cruising down the Mossel valley taking in the magnificent scenery and having a good chat about this and that...

A lovely day in the sun, Curryworst consumed, we headed back.

The carting challenge!

The carting track was awesome, really big and open with a great twisty section on the back straight to dice in. Helmets on, we all drove, Mike, Anne, Karen, Gavin, Philip, Desmond, Kevin, Eric and Me. I managed by some fluke to qualify third - Mike and Eric - 1 and 2, Desmond 4th.

On the race I over cooked a bend a little, and was passed.. I had to at least regain my position.. eventually I did, when Kevin (who I was catching.. but would probably never have passed with the laps remaining) pulled off the track.. so I ended up in third with a bronze medal... Sideways Eric second with silver - super fast Mike with Gold in first.

Back at the Burr's we watched some track videos, chatted about the 'ring.. and had a laugh over a few beers.. it was time to sleep.. Sunday would be an early start. We had to be at the 'ring at 08:00, so we'd have to get up at 05:00.

Sunday dawned.. and there was a feeling of expectation. We left in the dark, and tooled our way down the autobahn, after picking up Mike, Eric's good friend and a quick fueling stop (Shell 100 Octane V-Power!!! ) we witnessed the most amazing sunrise over the Eifel area. Really Really stunning.

Arriving at the ring, it had just opened and hardly anyone was there. Quick check of the 9000, Kevin and Desmond in the car, we did our maiden lap. The 9000 was a different car. Feeling light and agile again with the Koni and tyre pressure adjustment adjustment, the boost progressive - not spiky. Up shifting perfectly, and me preselecting downshift points, using the manual override whilst braking improved matters considerably.

After showing Kevin and Desmond the track, I went out with Kevin and Mike in Kevin's Aero. The purpose was to give him some pointers on where he should be on the track. The 9000 Aero is a quick car, and it arrived at corners quicker than Kevin anticipated, making him work hard on the brakes, listening to me - telling him roughly where he ought to be, and steering and shifting. We got around without any real mishaps, which is always a good result on someone's virgin lap of the ring.

Mike and I went out with my 9000, Eric Burr following, we had a great tussle - full on trying - I really wanted to string it together, applying everything that Keith had shown me on Thursday. I really wanted to keep Eric behind ... But in the end he caught me a few corners before Bergwerk and passed me. He got a great exit out of Bergwerk.. and I was struggling to keep with him to catch him up the hill.. but fortunately for me (unfortunately for the Silver Race Sierra Cossie) the yellow flag was out, and we slowed down.

The Cossie had spun and plowed into the armco. About 3 feet of the front of the car was missing. The driver out of the car receiving medical attention. These things can happen on the ring, we hope the driver is okay - he had a full safety cage, was in a race seat, wearing race harness and was wearing a crash helmet.. so he had all the safety gear covered.

Ploughing on, in front of Eric, I managed for the first time ever to stay there.. and finish the remainder of the lap in front

Had lots of laps through the day, so much so that I hardly spoke to or saw anyone all day. 9 laps in total in the 9000 and 3 or 4 in other cars.

Took out a German fellow Saab owner who had a black 900 Turbo. He had fun. After me, he went out with his girlfriend in their car. Unfortunately on one of the fast sections, he lost control of the car, it flipped, and rolled. Both of them were admitted to hospital with cuts and bruises, but nothing serious, thank goodness. The section of track they went off on, was the same section that the driver and co driver of a Ferrari 360 died at a few months back... the Saab is a write off.. but the occupants are okay - testament to Saab build quality.

Did a few helping out laps with Desmond and Gavin which was fun.. and had a passenger lap (in the back) of Eric's 9-3. Now that is fun!!!.. it's like a rollercoaster!. Eric is a great driver, and the 9-3 is such a sweet handler now, that it fairly flies around the ring... we have some cool videos taken from Bergwerk and in-car that will come later of sideways Eric.

Gavin's car lost boost at one point, quickly diagnosed at Ring Racing as the circlip missing from the wastegate actuator and quickly sorted.

Kevin's car had a violent rumble at a certain point, Ring Racing diagnosed that problem as loose front wheel nuts Guess we should have checked that huh Kevin ?

Marky, Martin and Jeroen were there with their cars too .. the really nice 9-3 tid and the very quick Hirsch tuned 900 Troll of Martin.. they did some nice laps too..

All in all a lot of Saabs on the ring that day!

After goodbyes, we headed home toward's the Burr's place.. a McDonalds, later we were blasting back when my car started to act oddly.

The car was reving all by itself.. pulled over to the hard shoulder, where Desmond (handly having our own Saab Tech around! ) diagnosed that the vacuum line on the inlet manifold had come off.. a quick repair and it was all sorted.

An evening with a few beers, a bit of reflection. Saying goodbyes and a well earned sleep brought the weekend to a close.

A hearty big THANKS to Eric and Anne for you hospitality and it was nice to meet everyone.. good sports and well done on conquering the mighty Nurburgring without problems!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts