Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am hoping that someone can help me with this one. I am a new member to this website and cannot tell you how relieved I was to find it. My Saab has got the gremlins. The car cut out yesterday while driving, I pulled over waited a bit tried again 5 mins later, it started beautifully for another minute or so, then cut out again. I pulled over waited and the same thing happened again - it went for a minute and the engine died again. I had to get the car towed back to the house and am at a total loss as to what the problem could be - I would appreciate any help form other owners who might have had the same occurance or have some advice on how to fix it????
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You don't say whether DI or not - I had similar symptom on my 900S which eventually would not start until it had cooled down - then it ran with a mis-fire under load. New DI pack solved it. Have you had any other problems such as a mis-fire. I am sure other ideas will be forthcoming from other members and welcome to the board.

Mike

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Gary.
DI is Saab's Direct Ignition system. If you can see a distributor and plug leads, then you don't have it. What year and engine size is the car? I assume a 9000S is non-turbo?

As LocoSaab mentions, if you have DI the DI cassette (which carries a separate ignition coil for each plug) may have failed. If you have conventional ignition (a distributor), a failed ignition amplifier can cause this symptom.

In the first case, the fault-finding procedure is to try a known working DI cassette to see if the problem disappears.

In the second case, remove one of the spark plugs and look for a spark.

Finally, a faulty fuel pump can also give the same symptom.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Gary,
Sounds like a fuel problem,how low was the tank?
I had a similar problem with my 91'SE, the tank showed just under a 1/4 full it would start,run then stop.Cost £40 towing charge for £5 of petrol . this would be the first thing i try from now on,or it could be the pump on it's way out. These pumps do tend to go down,although SAAB dont sell the pump on its own,youshould be able to pick one up for about £50
Hope this helps some
G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts