Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read that GM have push Saab off their books, the swedish government have refused to give tax payers cash, so Saab have 3 weeks to work something out!

What happens with warrenties on new cars (I still have c. 18 months left) is saab go bust?? :eek:

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was wondering the same. If it's the same as Rover (I assume it would be) then:-
http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/.../page38135.html

So if you paid cash for a new car then you're screwed. If (like me) then you took it out on GMAC credit then it seems that I should be OK as essentialy the credit included the warranty, so I should be able to get some money back that way. If you took a personal loan which was paid into your account and then you paid the dealer then I guess that may be a bit of a minefield.

Dealer warranties (ie anything over the 3 years) are unnaffected, as they are backed by an insurance policy the dealer takes out with CarPlan IIRC.

Any legal bods please feel free to correct me in the above, that's just on the basis of a quick google.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have just got a new 9-3 on contract hire, I am assuming that they will have to keep the car running & Maintained if they want me to keep paying the montly charge!! God I am glad I never "bought it" now

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know when I was working for GM a couple of yrs back GM were trying to move SAAB out of Sweden to have them built in Germany.
The saab plant would then be moth balled or turned into a GM warehouse and they really wanted it to happen .
Also the Plant a lost out to E. Port in the bidding war for the new Astra which they may have moved there if saabs where moved to Germany for build.
So you may well find that Saabs stay GM but Saab in Sweden will be no more unless the goverment puts its hand in its pocket.
Its a thing you get used to working for GM as every plant is put up against each other in bidding wars to cut costs.
Looks like SAAB will lose out this time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
IMO its prob a double edged sword ie SAAB will be better to get away from GM as they just seem to make [expletive deleted] cars . lets hope that someone buys the marque and keeps SAAB going, maybe VW could buy it then maybe we would not need new EGR valves every 10000 miles or so :)
It is worrying to see all the big car makers going down the kermit.
Will we still be able to get spares now for the cars if GM have pulled the plug ? ie will spares still be made or will they run out ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
As I understand it, the new car warranties are backed legally and can't be stopped. As regards spares, don't worry.These are immensely, hugely profitable; a manufacturing cost of a very few pounds for a rad grill selling for over sixty on another make of car not dissimilar to Saab. Someone will certainly picka that one up.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well if it goes in teh way rover did, ie no dealerships and no company, then who exactly are you going to get to do the warranty work? Anything less than that and we'll be OK, but if they do go then it's down to claiming through whoever you got finance on the car. If you paid cash then you're an insecured creditor I think, so unlikely to get anything.

Parts will be absolutely fine for years to come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts