Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my first saab [1989 90001 ]
my first trip was a 2300 mile round trip to spain
problems i need advice on are sometimes car cuts out [ slowy dieing untill eventual cut out seems like it could be fuel related [ like running out of fuel ] but will restart and drive a short while more, fuel gauge seems erractic, when car last cut out gauge still read quarter of a tank + fuel warning light did not come on, filled tank up and kept filling up every 350 miles, problem not happend since today when ticking over for about 20 mins, electric cooling fan cut in ok but car seems to run cool [ about 1/4 way up on gauge even when driving in spain but will go to 1/2 way if left idling long enough]
any advice please.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
First of all Welcome to the board redrocket.

Have you tried changing the fuel filter? This may cause fuel starvation if it is blocking up.

The temperature sounds like a faulty Thermostat. If you replace the thermostat with a Saab one, I believe the correct rating is 88C - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, then hopefully it'll cure that fault.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Redrocket (isn't that a type of lettuce??),

This does sound like fuel starvation. A commonish problem on saabs can be the prepump which primes a pot in the fuel tank for the main pump to grab it's fuel. This pre pump has been known to fail, which can cause fuel problems when the tank get down to 1/4 or so (weight/depth of fuel prevents this when fuller).

If could be that you arwe using the fuel quicker than it can get into this pot.

If it were happening all the time I would have asked when the fuel filter was last changed.

As to the temp guage, thermostate do fail too, what temp on the guage does the fan cut in? it could be that guage is reading wrong, of the temp sensor wire may be corroded/dirty at the sensor giving duff readings.

Andrew

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thermostats are 82 or 89 degrees. Don't know which is stock, when I bought my '87 it had a 89 degrees. Anyway, redrocket's temp gauge seems to act as it should. It seems more like a fuel problem, like the fuel filter, as you saied, or the fuel pump.
Is it possible that cooling fans came up due to the A/C kicking in? The engaging of the compressr clutch should turn on the fans, no matter the engine temp, I think.

PS: welcome to the board.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all for your advice mine has no air con,
not sure about the fuel filter, dont know where it is, also i dont know where the fuel pumps are yet as i have no haynes manual for her yet, will get a new thermostat and fit this + look at pumps and filter when i get a manual, thanks all for your advice will keep you posted as to results,
again many thanks to you all.
regards redrocket [ not i am not a lettuce] lol

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Fuel filter is i think bolted up just in front of the fuel tank,

Fuel pump is accessed from under the wooded boot floor. there are 2 torex screws on the fixed part, remove these and slide the carperted floor back 1 inch and lift out.

Under there are some cables and a 8 inch rubber edged metal disc. under here is the pump, fuel pipes, wires and level sensor.

A.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When I had to replace my thermostat, my Saab dealer (the biggest one in Italy) gave me a 82C for my car.('87 turbo, with A/C)
With the 89C the needle staied 10 o'clock, now it never goes over 9,30 o'clock, normal position is 9.

In my '87 the fuel filter is in the engine bay, near the firewall,on the transmission side (I don't specify driver or passenger side not to make any confusion, yours is not mine).

Anyway, I'm afraid too that this is mainly an electrical problem, good luck.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Wouldn't worry too much about the thermostat. My '94 CSE 2.0LPT usually sits around 8 o'clock and gets to 9 o'clock when pushed (like on Saturday when I thrashed it around Goodwood).

To replace the fuel filter, look here. This should be done at roughly every 100K miles.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update: fitted a differnt fuel pump today from a later model L or a K reg 9000 swapped tops over,
car pulls a lot stonger now gauge on 1/4 of a tank all seems to be well. fitting new stat and fuel filter tomorrow[ as long as it ain't persisting it down] thanks again guys for all your help best regards Redrocket

1 - 15 of 15 Posts