Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I just thought that I should post a few pictures of a friend's Saab V4 Turbo. The turbo is a Garrett GT17 from a Saab 9-5 and then he has modified the inlet manifold to use the injection system from a Volvo 360 GLT together with the ignition system from another Volvo (don't remember which modell).

Last weekend the swedish Saab Turbo Club had a trackday and this is the second year he attended and it worked perfect except that he doesn't get enough fuel in the sharp bends but this will be sorted out soon.

Here's a short film from last weekend

http://www.nolife.se/~lamorte/Saabtr%e4ffa...410/Filmer/bana,v4.avi

Enjoy!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Fantastic!

There was a V4 turbo built in the UK years ago - i remember reading a magazine article about it, and then i saw it driving through the Wirral once, but i think that one retained the carb(s), and it was only part of a very detailed bare-metal rebuild and upgrade program, where this one looks appealingly rough around the edges - i love the copper plumbing!.

Someone else here will remember more clearly than me.

Carl

·
Registered
334 Posts
All those pipes, looks like an accident at an oil refinery.

Well, he must know what's what, because that car seemed to be moving quite rapidly from what i could see

Vince

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rough around the edges is an understatement! This car looks like [expletive deleted] on the outside - but underneath it is a lot better...

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Friberg, that is fantastic
Looks really quick on the track and the fact it looks knackered adds to the stealth factor

·
Registered
778 Posts
That's really neat, Friberg
I only wish I was there to witness it all - must have been a good time. I wonder if any of the people I met in Stockholm and Kista attended: Hakan with his +400 hp 9000 or Fredrik (MapTun) with his? I know that Karl is in the French Alps, with his family, on a ski vacation, otherwise I'm sure he would have been there!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>>zeke (aka Bob)

As far as I know Håkan and Fredrik wasn't there... Håkans 9000 is (as you probably know) currently upgraded further. Look at the pictures in this thread: http://forum.saabturboclub.com/phpbb1/viewtopic.php?t=82918 (You are allowed to read too if you understand swedish )

This was down in the south of Sweden (~600km from Stockholm) and the spring hasn't really come yet so they probably wait until the trackdays in the summer instead.

If you want to see other pictures and films from this trackday search this tread - but be aware! Most of the films are only 402m and not from the track.

http://forum.saabturboclub.com/phpbb1/view...4084&highlight=

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Woo hoo

A supersonic shed, that's my kinda V4

Looks like he's made up a swan neck adaptor between std 2 stud inlet manifold and the single point injection gubbins from the Ovlov.

Any idea what power he's got out of it?

The beautiful red UK turbo car was built by Mike Woolfe & Barry Marsden from Liverpool, hence you seeing it on the Wirral, Carl. I saw it a few times at various SOC events & shows and it really was amazing. Here's a few details I posted some time ago, in another place...I really want to find it, so if anyone knows its whereabouts then PLEASE let me know

OK some more info on the Mike Woolfe/Barry Marsden car:

1500 crank, +30 thou overbore (so not quite +1mm, ~ 1520cc)
Heads ported & gasflowed, combustion chamber opened up to lower the CR (doesn't say to what), bigger exhaust valves, std size inlet, all in 214N stainless.

Asymmetric Burton cam, timed to standard. Polished & lightened rockers, standard pushrods, all blue printed & equalised.

Baffled sump, additional rocker cover breathers & oil return for the turbo.

Weber 32/34 DMTT carb on modified manifold.

T3 turbo, fabricated exhaust, fabricated intercooler to LHS of slightly relocated rad, oil cooler in front valance. Early V4/long-nose 2 stroke round lamp grille.

All flexible fuel & brake lines in proper Aeroquip, solid lines in Kunifer 10 brake piping.

Pukka Saab 5x15 minilites, 185/65 tyres (IIRC he had BF Goodrich on when I saw the car) S&R front springs, I know from speaking to Mike at the time that they tried S&R rears but didn't like the progressive nature as "the car kept swapping ends" and ended up with custom static rate rears. I believe they fitted billies all round too. 1 deg -ve camber up front with 4.5deg castor. Custom strut brace in 18/80 stainless.

Fly off handbrake. Totally refitted interior with custom dash using Sport gauges, 900 seats incl rear head rests, leather/ally s/wheel. Electric mirrors, modified rear wings to move the swage line up giving more space for the tyres, 96GL DRLs, 96L rubber bumpers.

116bhp at the wheels...

Without doubt this was/is??? one of the best 96s I have ever seen and beautifully engineered by Mike & Barry. Just wish I knew where it was now...[/b]

·
Registered
461 Posts
I should have guessed you'd be the one with the memory, Fliptop - I can't believe it's dropped off the radar and doesn't still get used / taken to meetings - what a loss!

Of course, I remember the owner saying his motivation was to develop the 96 as though Saab had never stopped making it, so on that basis, it'll still be on the road, but looking remarkably like a diesel Astra...

Carl

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks Friberg
Looks like Hakan's well on his way to resolving the lag issues he had with the TD06-24. The GT3071R should be a huge improvement, and whoever is fabricating those headers is does very nice work. The only thing I'd be concerned with is how close those tubes are to the radiator - it looks like they actually are against it
I was privileged to have Hakan take me for a ride down a stretch of highway in Kista - his car truly is a red rocket

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 few pictures of a friend's Saab V4 Turbo. The turbo is a Garrett GT17 from a Saab 9-5 and then he has modified the inlet manifold to use the injection system from a Volvo 360 GLT  [/b]
Should it therefore be called a Salvo?

Mike

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hmm, too many pipes for me. They clearly know what they are doing to bodge all that lot together.

Well the engine is out on my Sonett, I just have to find a way to fit all the gubbins in and stop the fibreglass melting! Wouldn't that be something, 700kg and 116bhp. More power to weight than a mildly tweaked 9000 Aero!

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Duncan - you might want to talk with 99T if you've not already done so - he owns the ex-Andrew Street Sonett V4 rally car, with a full-spec 1815 lump on Weber 40DFI, gives about 125bhp, and a spec II gearset

Still not managed to get a ride in it yet though

·
Registered
218 Posts
The trouble with the big engined Sonetts is you need all sorts of S+R kit which is no longer available or people want so much money it is stupid. The beauty about this V4 is looking at the photos you could do it at home, literally! Brilliant.

I would like some more poke in the Sonett. A 34 ICH Weber, nice exhaust and lower ratio gearbox out of a 96 give it a bit more but I am still stuck with not much more than the standard 70bhp. I must look at 99T's someday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by zeke (aka Bob Lavergne):
...  The GT3071R should be a huge improvement, and whoever is fabricating those headers is does very nice work.  The only thing I'd be concerned with is how close those tubes are to the radiator - it looks like they actually are against it    :eek:    .... his car truly is a red rocket      [/QB][/b]
Zeke, check this photo, it appears there is more clearance at the radiator than in the previous photo.

Jon
jon1..

·
Registered
778 Posts
That is so sweet - beautiful job of welding. But if you look at this picture of his 'old' headers, you'll have to agree that the new ones are in there pretty tight

1 - 20 of 28 Posts